Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Smart Photo grid - can’t pop up photos

This has happened to me before. I’ve added photos into a smart photo grid. And also used the pop up photo on the entire grid. But the individual photos do not pop up. In fact nothing happens at all. I’d rather not dismantle the entire grid. I’ve done a few of these and there still not popping up.
    I should mention that I’ve got a ton of layers on this page that are above the Mouseoff- Mouseover layers. Any suggestions?
    Many Thanks
    - Bill
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design
    XARA Pro+. WD17, Designer 17. Premium packages.

Default Re: Smart Photo grid - can’t pop up photos

Quote Originally Posted by bwood View Post
    This has happened to me before. I’ve added photos into a smart photo grid. And also used the pop up photo on the entire grid. But the individual photos do not pop up. In fact nothing happens at all. I’d rather not dismantle the entire grid. I’ve done a few of these and there still not popping up.
    I should mention that I’ve got a ton of layers on this page that are above the Mouseoff- Mouseover layers. Any suggestions?
    Many Thanks
    - Bill

If selecting the grid and going to image properties | pop up | apply should work, though I've had occasions when it doesn't - use Ctrl + the selector tool to select each image, go image properties, check pop up image, specify size, hit apply.

I just drag and drop the images I want to use onto the page and size/arrange them into rows/grids till I'm happy - select all the pics at once and apply the pop up settings.

On occasion I've used smart grids with small numbers of images - say 10/12, and make them pop ups as above.
    If I need to add say 5/6 new images, I make a new Smart grid below the initial one.

@letsgofishing - Thank You, but Ctl + selector tool > pop up image isn't working either. I wonder why. This works on a couple of sites that I maintain but not on this one. I still wonder if its got anything to do with the layer order. As you can see all my pop up layers are above the MouseOver and MouseOff layers. I'm stumped.
    I might have to go with a standard grid and pop up each image, but I rather like smart grids.
    -Bill

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screen1.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	120.0 KB 
ID:	128088
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design

I am sad to have to advise that Xara has done diddly to address "Smart" Photo Grids or otherwise since they were shoved upon us: https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...ids-amp-Panels.
    They are an aberration simply because they do not work and do not fit into how 'unsmart' Xara objects have always been manipulated.

I have tried to follow the detail in http://outsider.xara.com/tutorials/november16/ without any real progress.
    Avoid.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Well. I just can’t figure out why the smart grids work sometimes, and other times do not. I managed to place a grid and ungrouped many times and got a decent photo grid. Then shift>selected each one and got a pop up. Workable but fiddly. By the way these grids hate tiff images.

https://billwood.ca/early%20settlers.htm Bottom of the page.

bill
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design

Well. I just can’t figure out why the smart grids work sometimes, and other times do not. I managed to place a grid and ungrouped many times and got a decent photo grid. Then shift>selected each one and got a pop up. Workable but fiddly. By the way these grids hate tiff images.

bill
    Bill, it's because Xara has done all that nesting of images into groups.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

bill
    Pleased you got it sort of working. For so few images - the 8 details of the house, I would just have dragged & dropped and resized to choice, select all pop-up 800px or whatever, apply,done.
    Why are you using tiffs? Jpegs give you much smaller file sizes and are more than adequate for the web.
    I'm also not sure why you've created those pop-up layers? - I can't see what the contents of each layer is, but just make the images pop-ups (which it seems you have).

Quote Originally Posted by letsgofishing View Post
    Pleased you got it sort of working. For so few images - the 8 details of the house, I would just have dragged & dropped and resized to choice, select all pop-up 800px or whatever, apply,done.
    Why are you using tiffs? Jpegs give you much smaller file sizes and are more than adequate for the web.
    I'm also not sure why you've created those pop-up layers? - I can't see what the contents of each layer is, but just make the images pop-ups (which it seems you have).
    You may mean the “I” symbol throughout the design. This is an interactive website. It was once an academia site, and they wanted the text added in some fashion. Hence the amount of layers. The viewer is made to click the symbol to find out more about the different settlers. The symbol is a running theme for the site. It’s the only way I could add all the text they wanted without a convoluted text site. The pop up text layer could have been added to each picture, but I wasn’t sure the viewer would click on the picture to find out more info. Hence the symbol.

The tiffs are a bunch of scans from museum archives. Most I have to convert to jpegs.

Hope that answers some of your questions.
    -Bill
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design

Info Re: Smart Photo grid - can’t pop up photos

You may mean the “I” symbol throughout the design. This is an interactive website. It was once an academia site, and they wanted the text added in some fashion. Hence the amount of layers. The viewer is made to click the symbol to find out more about the different settlers. The symbol is a running theme for the site. It’s the only way I could add all the text they wanted without a convoluted text site. The pop up text layer could have been added to each picture, but I wasn’t sure the viewer would click on the picture to find out more info. Hence the symbol.

The tiffs are a bunch of scans from museum archives. Most I have to convert to jpegs.

Hope that answers some of your questions.
    -Bill
    Bill, I appreciate the hard work you have put into the site.

My contribution here is how I would have tackled the pop-up layers proliferation.

JS - The Bennett Family.xar

I added utility to the Information icon with some Caption text - I never like stranding screen-readers adrift on a site.
    A click here and some bespoke code I wrote reveals the pop-up text. I added a pop-up image to break the monotony.
    The information icon changed colour and has different Caption text as does the pop-up block.
    I added a link to this text (going nowhere) to show how you could lead people about the site.

All these could have been left on the MouseOff layer but I added a !Information layer, which can be easily toggled on and off.
    The bang (!) ensures when the layer is hidden its contents still get published as it is not a pop-up layer.

You would add a second and subsequent text panel by the following:
    1. Copy the Info icon on MouseOff and place in position.
    2. Change its Link to the ClassName of the new text panel, e.g., Link: javascript: openSesame('.NewPanelClassName'); - the preceding dot is important.
    3. Create you new text panel, red icon (copied) and any other objects you can to reveal on the !Information Layer.
    4. Given each the special Name of htmlclass="information NewPanelClassName" - no preceding dot here.
    5. That's it.

The code in the Website HTML Code (body0 initially hides eveything with the ClassName "information".
    A click ob the Info icon reveals the objects with the corresponding ClassName for the text panel.
    The red icon and text panel have a different link to hide themselves.

Acorn

@acorn Love what you've done there Acorn. Thanks very much. At the moment I'm working on a problem that occurred this morning. Thread is below.

https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...ocument-Stalls

Many Thx again
    -Bill
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design