Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Responsive web pages

Hi,

I have designed a couple of web sites in the past using Xara. But they were 8 years back. I'm looking again at a new web site. But these days they need to be "responsive" eg work on mobiles etc.

How does Xara handle it these days? Has some one made a site I can try?

Any pointers tips appreciated

As always thanks for helping

Tim Box

Default Re: Responsive web pages

Quote Originally Posted by TimBox View Post
    Hi,

I have designed a couple of web sites in the past using Xara. But they were 8 years back. I'm looking again at a new web site. But these days they need to be "responsive" eg work on mobiles etc.

How does Xara handle it these days? Has some one made a site I can try?

Any pointers tips appreciated

As always thanks for helping

Tim Box
    Tim, Xara does not do responsive websites.

Xara does adaptive websites - fixed sizes at width breakpoints, so you can build for mobile.

People seem to use a Xara scale setting to set the mobile width to scale to fit the device width.

Typically people here use two sizes, one for mobile (that scales) and one for desktop (fixed).

This is because of the WYSIWYG nature of Xara that builds pages with fixed positions and sizes (unlike responsive).

Adaptive is OK but not as good as responsive, for sure.

Essentially what you did eight years ago people are still doing today.

Typically people here use two sizes, one for mobile (that scales) and one for desktop (fixed).
    That's not quite true now Paul. Xara has introduced 'Scale to Fit' which creates websites that scale to fit the browser width very nicely. You can use this as a single variant but obviously it can become to small for a mobile so creating a second mobile variant is best practice.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    That's not quite true now Paul. Xara has introduced 'Scale to Fit' which creates websites that scale to fit the browser width very nicely.
    Yes, I did mention it!

I stick with my post, though as you say that scaling wasn't around way back when, but is now.

My personal opinion is the Xara scale to width option is a better option than the adaptive option which resets assets within a page to fit the fixed scaling, but it's horses for courses.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    My personal opinion is the Xara scale to width option is a better option than the adaptive option which resets assets within a page to fit the fixed scaling, but it's horses for courses.
    We can agree to disagree. I assume that you used the wrong word and meant to say the responsive option.

I think a lot of people think responsive site means one-size-fits all but that's not the case - there are size breakpoints just like Xara uses.

There's never a chance that the text will become smaller on a device with a responsive page but that can happen on a Xara generated page.

The Xara adaptive approach works and scaling solves one problem.