Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Book Page Numbers

@Egg. I tried starting at -8 before posting on here originally. I have no explanation as to what happened, but mine went -8,-7,-6,-5,-4,-3,-2,-1,9,10,11 etc.

Having said that it clearly does work, so I played. I think this was the last thing I did before the technology god smiled upon me:
    I had cut the first 8 pages thinking that I would number the rest then plonk the blank ones above...which failed. All other attempts subsequently failed. I then used an auto-backup from before the cut and paste and the -8 method suddenly did as everyone else said it would.

Coincidence? Maybe. We'll likely never know as I'm putting this in the rear view and moving on.

@Acorn. Thanks for the alternatives, but I do need to export to PDF.

@ Gary. "page numbers are a PITA". The voice of experience.
    Last edited by Chris M; 14 October 2020 at 11:00 PM.

If you want page 9 to show as page 1, you should perhaps have made it page 1 by dividing the book into two separate files, and combining the two in one PDF.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris M View Post
    Unfortunately, no. I want page 9 to show as page 1. Covering the numbers would still leave page 9 as showing '9'.

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    I do make a living doing layout. But I fail to understand the distinction--except the pricing between Affinity Publisher and other options.

The free version of Viva Designer may well suit people needing more control and output. Certainly the free Scribus is capable. Both are even less than Affinity products even when on sale...

Generally, I recommend just using Word if one has it, LibreOffice Writer (free) if not. The typographical control, numbering, TOC, indexing, foot/end notes, sections and graphic handling are more than up to a "non-professional's" book making.

Doing a book in something entirely not made for it (Xara applications) is not a pro-vs-non-pro issue.
    years ago there was a discussion here about what makes a 'professional' - for me it is someone who works on a formal basis for a client/company/entity, and that can be on a freelance basis, and it includes unpaid work eg charity(non-profit)

I agree that the tools used do not define this, that was not my point; my point was that the professional is likely to see more possibilities because of their experience although that is not a given, and a non-professional is more likely to accecpt 'compromises' again not a given

and within budget a non-professional may have more leeway to use software they actually enjoy using, yet again not a given

I like using affinity publisher; it's a long time ago, but I did not like scribus when I tried it out...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

I tried the -number and it works. But if a person wanted the page number to be on the bottom outside corner of the book, how would that be done. In my test it would put the number on all pages at the same spot on the page. You could not move it without changing them all.

Ray

That's why you'd use an A4 Double Page Spread Ray., I don't think you can do it on a single page.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

That was it, thanks Egg,

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by lex View Post
    If you want page 9 to show as page 1, you should perhaps have made it page 1 by dividing the book into two separate files, and combining the two in one PDF.
    Yes, I'm looking at using a PDF editor to look after the final touches as much out of curiosity than anything else.

I don't intend on doing books in the future, but it's good to play with something new and gain experience. I have no doubt that there are better tools out there, but I have to say Xara did a grand job of it.

I didn't have the know how. The Word docs were in different formats, fonts generally mismatched, but I found it easy enough to end up with a decent result in the end. The hardest part was working out that Word anchors everything (especially photos) and moving a line of text is the equivalent of releasing the 4 Horsemen. Gaps appear, photos dive for cover on a completely new page, titles give up the will to live and implode. I ended up simply copying every photo I came across, adding text repel and I was back in control.

Selecting all the text on each section and making sure the line spacing, paragraph spacing and font details were all the same was also a must and easily accomplished. Once again, Xara may not the best tool, but certainly capable and I'd do the same again without any trepidation.