Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Book Page Numbers

Also, you state, use Website... etc. This is a print document. Is this still going to work?

Acorn - How hard do you think this would be for Xara to implement? It is so basic. Click page. Start page numbers HERE.
    Gary, what's difficult about starting @ -8?
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

having set it up, what happens if you need to add/remove a page prior to the page you want the numbers to start on.. do you have to resequence the count.. very clumsy compared to just entering an absolute page number that you want the page count to start on..

also whilst I have your attention, is there a good reason why the absolute page count on the status bar is tied to the page at the top of the screen when zoomed out in multipage view and not on the page that is focused for editing/printing - I can't think of one offhand and it is, to me, a darn nusience
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

You want to take away my excuse to kavetch?

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Egg, where to start. No accommodation of Section / Chapter / Page / Annex / Appendix / Sidebar / Footnote / Heading / Sub-Heading / Table. No means to change Style (Arabic, Roman Upper, roman lower, other) mid-flow. No smart Table of Contents. No integration with SmartText. No number base change. No reset of any kind. Basically, things you actually need in a Desktop Publishing Application.

@Gary, I started using the CSS approach ages back and then realised if fails for PDF.
    Since then I have not looked at the @page styling, which probably would work for PDF.

I have given up with Xara for long documents as it drags itself to death for editing and any real changes of style.
    I tend to use Affinity Publisher and its siblings for print.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

+1 for affinity publisher
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    +1 for affinity publisher
    Unless the book is fairly long/involved, requires running headers that update accordingly, doesn't receive several text revisions ... etc. Oh. And one doesn't really want a 500 page book with a fair amount of quality images and not take up 1 or more gigabytes per revision.

But otherwise? Sure.

yes well you look on it as a professional printer no doubt

if I want something done that way I'd pay someone like you, same as I would pay someone for a website [outside of basic WP]

Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    yes well you look on it as a professional printer no doubt

if I want something done that way I'd pay someone like you...
    I do make a living doing layout. But I fail to understand the distinction--except the pricing between Affinity Publisher and other options.

The free version of Viva Designer may well suit people needing more control and output. Certainly the free Scribus is capable. Both are even less than Affinity products even when on sale...

Generally, I recommend just using Word if one has it, LibreOffice Writer (free) if not. The typographical control, numbering, TOC, indexing, foot/end notes, sections and graphic handling are more than up to a "non-professional's" book making.

Doing a book in something entirely not made for it (Xara applications) is not a pro-vs-non-pro issue.

kvetch
    Had to look that one up Gary

Egg, where to start .....
    Acorn, I was only answering the OP's question, not writing an essay on Xara's DTP failings
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host