Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Default Re: Gallery Preview Rotated

The video is unavailable because you've set it to Private. You need to set it to Public in YouTube LGF

EDIT: Spamiky beat me to it.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by hotrodsue View Post
    Egg, thank you for the additional template. I appreciate your trying the alternating template upload.

@Gary and @Egg, the customer just this morning said they are considering an update to their website and asking for my direction. I am thrilled to be able to get this looking and working better. Let me get some ideas together to post here. In the meantime, I welcome continued input. My goal is to submit ideas for web update to customer by the end of the day Friday. I am on Eastern Stand Time in the US.
    Sue, interesting because you indicated your client had parked any changes to the website for the winter - what changed their minds?

I went back to your current website, being the best start point for a rework and have made some suggestions (they may or maynot be helpful depending on your design thoughts).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LOMG Home.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	119.7 KB 
ID:	128199

1. Create more width in the design (say 1200px) with the page background colour and pasteboard colours the same.
    2. Create two variants desktop and mobile and use Export options of Scale-to-fit-Width.
    3. Rationalise the content across Home, About, Services and News such that it is not duplicated - e.g. everything in About goes into About and is not repeated -best way I know to do this is to collate all the text from the three tabs into one text document, analyse, de-dup and rework back into the respective tabs.
    4. Gallery pages should be substantially reduced to one page for Residential and one/two pages for Commercial - as accepted a visitor will not plough through pages of photos - if the client is attached to them, as said before, you could create a PDF catalogue.
    5. Add a new Tab (Projects or name of choice) that provides storyboards for recent and interesting projects - could include a couple on the Home page too.
    6. Create a consistent page style that uses the extra width.
    7. Move the Social icons from the header panel - to avoid users clicking away from the main content before they have scrolled down.
    8. Remove the yellow block from the logo.

- The embedded Storyboards referenced in an earlier post could be used to tell how a project was conceived, auto scrolling through the pictures in a sequential format - by using the Supersite slider you have the opportunity for text narrative to scroll onto each picture to help tell the story. The difference between using the Supersite slider, as opposed to say WOW or the CSSSlider is that text stays as text rather than losing its crispness when part of an image. To put this in context take a look at https://theparsonage.co.uk/ where the slider works in both desktop and mobile formats.

- FWIW: my original photo grid is included the XAR. I have not added a variant, but the purpose of the XAR is to give a feel for how Scale-to-fit-Width could look. I have simply used your named colours to provide continuity from your current site.

Hopefully you can create a pitch that wins you the business.

Gary
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Initiostar; 29 October 2020 at 11:47 AM. Reason: Added the XAR

[QUOTE=letsgofishing;630287]Hi all,
    I'been following this thread and thought I'd show a simple basic way to create a photo grid (mainly because I know nothing about code!
    Sorry about the sound quality - first time I've done this.

Sorry about that. Here's the link in case.
    https://youtu.be/o9i1Johzia0

Thumbs up Re: Gallery Preview Rotated

Quote Originally Posted by letsgofishing View Post
    Hi all,
    I'been following this thread and thought I'd show a simple basic way to create a photo grid (mainly because I know nothing about code!
    Sorry about the sound quality - first time I've done this.
    Here's the link in case: https://youtu.be/o9i1Johzia0
    LGF, well done for your presentation.

In knowing nothing about "code", you did manage to introduce some JS (from Covoxer) and some CSS (the opacity of 1 is totaly opaque, 0 is totally transparent; the pop-up colour is another setting).

Both Egg and I have both referenced and use http://highslide.com/ref/ in many Posts.
    Have a look as the design file in https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...ide-capability to gain a better understanding of HighslideJS.

Your grid approach to setting out the thumbnails is fine as far as it goes but you introduce a lot of scaffolding that is locked to those dimensions.
    Could I suggest two alternatives?

The first is to drop a row of default image thumbs across the page. Ensure they are in the correct Layer order.
    Place the first and last into your the start-left and end-right position and use Object Alignment > Horizontal position: Distribute equi-spaced & Vertical position; Align centrally.
    To repeat vertically: Group the row, clone under as many rows required and position as above and space similarly, switching H to V. Ungroup.
    Changing the spacing is a matter of grouping rows and columns individually and repositioning.
    All this is tedious but relatively flexible.

My second is https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...275#post630275 (above), where I use a Smart Table: Inner Padding & Cell Width and Height to dynamically control thumb spacing.

I hope others will offer their suggestions.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Initiostar View Post
    Sue, interesting because you indicated your client had parked any changes to the website for the winter - what changed their minds?

I went back to your current website, being the best start point for a rework and have made some suggestions (they may or maynot be helpful depending on your design thoughts).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LOMG Home.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	119.7 KB 
ID:	128199

1. Create more width in the design (say 1200px) with the page background colour and pasteboard colours the same.
    2. Create two variants desktop and mobile and use Export options of Scale-to-fit-Width.
    3. Rationalise the content across Home, About, Services and News such that it is not duplicated - e.g. everything in About goes into About and is not repeated -best way I know to do this is to collate all the text from the three tabs into one text document, analyse, de-dup and rework back into the respective tabs.
    4. Gallery pages should be substantially reduced to one page for Residential and one/two pages for Commercial - as accepted a visitor will not plough through pages of photos - if the client is attached to them, as said before, you could create a PDF catalogue.
    5. Add a new Tab (Projects or name of choice) that provides storyboards for recent and interesting projects - could include a couple on the Home page too.
    6. Create a consistent page style that uses the extra width.
    7. Move the Social icons from the header panel - to avoid users clicking away from the main content before they have scrolled down.
    8. Remove the yellow block from the logo.

- The embedded Storyboards referenced in an earlier post could be used to tell how a project was conceived, auto scrolling through the pictures in a sequential format - by using the Supersite slider you have the opportunity for text narrative to scroll onto each picture to help tell the story. The difference between using the Supersite slider, as opposed to say WOW or the CSSSlider is that text stays as text rather than losing its crispness when part of an image. To put this in context take a look at https://theparsonage.co.uk/ where the slider works in both desktop and mobile formats.

- FWIW: my original photo grid is included the XAR. I have not added a variant, but the purpose of the XAR is to give a feel for how Scale-to-fit-Width could look. I have simply used your named colours to provide continuity from your current site.

Hopefully you can create a pitch that wins you the business.

Gary
    Gary,

In September customer asked to hold off on twice weekly social media posts; as winter months are slow. Earlier this week they said with winter months slow down they are considering making a change. They will transition to new registered name "Asphalt Management Group" and have purchased the domain. I like the new name having "Asphalt" in the title. They asked about having LOMG DBA "Asphalt Management Group" to maintain keywords and ranking of current site. I'm thinking Asphalt Management Group as main title then list as "a subsidiary of LOMG" in smaller tag line. Gathering more info from customer now.

All that said, may I save how much I like your ideas.

1) It looks much better in wide 1200px design, and color changes.
    2) Yes, definitely need both variants.
    3) The content can be much better organized.
    4) Reducing gallery pages is something I did address, and believe they are open to. Believe they'll want .PDF catalogue.
    5) I really like this idea of a "Projects" tab to highlight jobs.
    6) Agree consistent page width throughout the site, much better than the narrow pages with the template; some those are split.
    7) and 8) Nice ideas, will see if the customer is up for those changes.

Honestly, they are looking for my input and I want to present them with a good proposal from a design standpoint; including organizing the content well.

Question: Looking at my current site, how would you quote the job for the changes you suggest? I have a hard time, and often likely undercharge. Curious is most folks bill hourly or per job. I currently bill set price for job, and once published hourly rate for changes.

Thanks to everyone for you input. I am sure to be back to update and brainstorm with you all.

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post

In knowing nothing about "code", you did manage to introduce some JS (from Covoxer) and some CSS (the opacity of 1 is totaly opaque, 0 is totally transparent; the pop-up colour is another setting).

Both Egg and I have both referenced and use http://highslide.com/ref/ in many Posts.
    Have a look as the design file in https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...ide-capability to gain a better understanding of HighslideJS.

Your grid approach to setting out the thumbnails is fine as far as it goes but you introduce a lot of scaffolding that is locked to those dimensions.

The first is to drop a row of default image thumbs across the page. Ensure they are in the correct Layer order.
    Place the first and last into your the start-left and end-right position and use Object Alignment > Horizontal position: Distribute equi-spaced & Vertical position; Align centrally.
    To repeat vertically: Group the row, clone under as many rows required and position as above and space similarly, switching H to V. Ungroup.
    Changing the spacing is a matter of grouping rows and columns individually and repositioning.

My second is https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...275#post630275 (above), where I use a Smart Table: Inner Padding & Cell Width and Height to dynamically control thumb spacing.

Acorn
    Acorn and LGF, these are great ideas with links and pointers to help. So much appreciated.

Honestly, they are looking for my input and I want to present them with a good proposal from a design standpoint; including organizing the content well.Question: Looking at my current site, how would you quote the job for the changes you suggest? I have a hard time, and often likely undercharge. Curious is most folks bill hourly or per job. I currently bill set price for job, and once published hourly rate for changes.
    Sue,

The start point is to better understand why the client has chosen to rebrand and what they expect to achieve; in the first instance this has absolutely nothing to do with a website. You can add value to the discussion, the shape and content of the marketing proposition, and thereafter, the price they are willing to pay for your services.

Basic questions: what would you like to achieve from the rebranding - more business yes, but where do you see the opportunities, residential, commercial, in what sectors, price bands, (maybe more smaller projects, maybe more maintenance jobs) - who are these guys competitors?

From this you work with them to build headline messages and propositions. You only need to ask the questions - then you can build a proposal to help them - this is not about a website - it is about building a new marketing initiative. Become part of it -this all flows thereafter into a website and integrated social media. You can price a proposal in days with an annual support contract.

Thinking cap on - ask the questions - looks like a great opportunity.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Initiostar View Post
    Sue,

The start point is to better understand why the client has chosen to rebrand and what they expect to achieve; in the first instance this has absolutely nothing to do with a website. You can add value to the discussion, the shape and content of the marketing proposition, and thereafter, the price they are willing to pay for your services.

Basic questions: what would you like to achieve from the rebranding - more business yes, but where do you see the opportunities, residential, commercial, in what sectors, price bands, (maybe more smaller projects, maybe more maintenance jobs) - who are these guys competitors?

From this you work with them to build headline messages and propositions. You only need to ask the questions - then you can build a proposal to help them - this is not about a website - it is about building a new marketing initiative. Become part of it -this all flows thereafter into a website and integrated social media. You can price a proposal in days with an annual support contract.

Thinking cap on - ask the questions - looks like a great opportunity.

Gary
    Gary, thank you so much. I am starting a list of questions for them. Your direction is detailed and very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post

Acorn
    Have posted a reply to the Highslide thread.....

Really like the first solution!! But to modify the spacing between rows/columns, I would prefer to go with my "spacer" idea - find it quicker than ungrouping/object alignment/regroup.
    Really interesting to see how folks approach things from their mindsets.