Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 39
  1. #11

    Default Re: Gallery Preview Rotated

    @Gary, how did you reset the 2 photos that display?

    @Egg, I do have 100's of photos on 16 different pages. It sounds like you think I should scrap current gallery. I am willing to put in time with tutorials to learn something new. Just curious if either of you can point me in the right direction.

    This is strange and I wonder what caused the issue. I even looked back on several previous versions of this website that I have backed up, they all do the same thing and rotation is off -90.

    Trying to duplicate the issue or correct it, I just placed a new gallery on the page from "Components/Images Resources/Photo Slideshows & Galleries". The galleries are NOW widgets, i.e "Landscape Gallery Widget". This probably prevents the issue I'm now experiencing because edits are made within the widget.

    The gallery I used is NOT a widget and I did remove "Soft Group" to get the number of columns and rows needed. The template for this website is "Classic Websites" and "Elementary Theme". The gallery page on the template is now a widget. Mystery somewhat solved, the web template and the gallery template initially used several years ago were NOT widgets.

    What do you think about me removing the gallery and using the current gallery widget? Time consuming to set up, so wonder if you think I should go a different direction?

    Many thanks.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    London
    Posts
    415

    Default Re: Gallery Preview Rotated

    Quote Originally Posted by hotrodsue View Post
    @Gary, how did you reset the 2 photos that display?

    @Egg, I do have 100's of photos on 16 different pages. It sounds like you think I should scrap current gallery. I am willing to put in time with tutorials to learn something new. Just curious if either of you can point me in the right direction.

    This is strange and I wonder what caused the issue. I even looked back on several previous versions of this website that I have backed up, they all do the same thing and rotation is off -90.

    Trying to duplicate the issue or correct it, I just placed a new gallery on the page from "Components/Images Resources/Photo Slideshows & Galleries". The galleries are NOW widgets, i.e "Landscape Gallery Widget". This probably prevents the issue I'm now experiencing because edits are made within the widget.

    The gallery I used is NOT a widget and I did remove "Soft Group" to get the number of columns and rows needed. The template for this website is "Classic Websites" and "Elementary Theme". The gallery page on the template is now a widget. Mystery somewhat solved, the web template and the gallery template initially used several years ago were NOT widgets.

    What do you think about me removing the gallery and using the current gallery widget? Time consuming to set up, so wonder if you think I should go a different direction?

    Many thanks.
    Sue,

    The reset was simply drag an image from the Bitmap Gallery, add a 4px line and shadow to it (no soft group or rectangle).

    I have a custom-built grid for photos that works across mobile and desktop variants, but I'd like to share that with Egg/Acorn tomorrow before releasing it. It would work as a template, you'd copy the grid and paste it to each page, then just drag your photos onto it. The shadow is a CSS style and can be changed to whatever you want and it applies to all images. Likewise, when you add an image it automatically goes to all variants.

    Back tomorrow,

    Gary

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    London
    Posts
    415

    Default Re: Gallery Preview Rotated

    @Egg have some ideas which I'll post shortly, based on your comments.

    Gary

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    London
    Posts
    415

    Default Re: Gallery Preview Rotated

    @Egg

    Had some thoughts here:

    1. Simplified the Photo Grid (no rectangles and shadows) and no widgets either, just a simple hand-crafted photo grid with a CSS shadow class that will work across multiple variants - Sue uses the Xara Photo Popup; for simplicity I've just stuck with it, rather than scurry-around looking for code-heavy lightbox alternatives - standard popups are really a non-starter for lots of photos, unless you think of using a javascript array - too much hassle!

    2. I doubt many will trawl through pages and pages of photos - design suggestion: retain a simple photo grid for recent projects (a photo grid page); offline PDF catalogue for those visitors that want more (or even an online subsite) plus a supersite storyboard that could tell a few project stories, successes, references etc.

    Here are the basics: https://initiostar.co.uk/demo/Gallery/ and here is the supersite storyboard concept: https://initiostar.co.uk/demo/Galler..._page_slider-a (XAR attached)

    The main site is too large to load here: OneDrive: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AiIuqUZcKl-OiJ1l...YTWnA?e=gTh4J6

    Any comments and feedback to Sue welcome - the embedded supersite will need some extra explanation, but the code is in Website HTML Head for the Slider.

    Gary
    Attached Files Attached Files

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Harwich, Essex, England
    Posts
    20,122

    Default Re: Gallery Preview Rotated

    Intresting template Gary. I'm still looking at it but just some initial comments.
    Your images are mainly @ a 16 x 9 ratio. So I'd suggest you create a 16x9 template.
    Obviously for other photo resolutions you need to set up further sizes templates.
    Secondly the named images and alt text become meaningless once you drop another image onto them.

    Only my first observations, still looking
    Egg

    Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

  6. #16

    Default Re: Gallery Preview Rotated

    I was out of pocket most of yesterday, and back at it today.

    @Gary, I really like all that you have done and agree not many would scroll through all those pages of pictures. It's great to offer an alternative to the customer. You've got some great ideas, and I appreciate your sharing your work. If we go with embedded supersite, I'd definitely need more instruction. It seems like @Egg may give more feedback as well.

    @Egg, thank you for your observations. Since I work mostly with templates and widgets, it's wonderful to have input from those that have more experience with design, as you and @Gary. Years ago, before finding Xara, I did use Adobe Dreamweaver. Self taught, spent a bit of time getting basics on coding. That basic still helps me today. Without formal training in Dreamweaver, the transition to Xara templates works well for me. Perhaps I should look into more Xara tutorials to be better versed in Xara design outside of templates and widgets.

    At this time, I'll sit tight and see if either of you have anything else to add. Then will plan to move forward to complete this project. Your help is much appreciated.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    London
    Posts
    415

    Default Re: Gallery Preview Rotated

    Quote Originally Posted by hotrodsue View Post
    I was out of pocket most of yesterday, and back at it today.

    @Gary, I really like all that you have done and agree not many would scroll through all those pages of pictures. It's great to offer an alternative to the customer. You've got some great ideas, and I appreciate your sharing your work. If we go with embedded supersite, I'd definitely need more instruction. It seems like @Egg may give more feedback as well.

    @Egg, thank you for your observations. Since I work mostly with templates and widgets, it's wonderful to have input from those that have more experience with design, as you and @Gary. Years ago, before finding Xara, I did use Adobe Dreamweaver. Self taught, spent a bit of time getting basics on coding. That basic still helps me today. Without formal training in Dreamweaver, the transition to Xara templates works well for me. Perhaps I should look into more Xara tutorials to be better versed in Xara design outside of templates and widgets.

    At this time, I'll sit tight and see if either of you have anything else to add. Then will plan to move forward to complete this project. Your help is much appreciated.
    Sue,

    My start point would be to ascertain whether your client has any appetite for a redesign - at this time your site publishes as expected and the only issue that occurs (inconsistently) is photos are rotated 90 deg in preview, but not when published.

    It is relatively simple to a create custom-build photo grid - your 5 x 5 grid took about 15 minutes, no widgets and no soft groups. Your photos have a 4:3 ratio (500px /325px) which can be resized (in whole px) to 167px /125px with 30px spacers in a 5 x 5 grid on a page width of 1200px.

    From there you can drag your photos direct from the Bitmap Gallery - use Share with Variants for the mobile variant - the upside here is that you can easily change the variant layout to 3 columns for easier viewing.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Custom Photo Grid.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	118.4 KB 
ID:	128140

    If you want a template grid and some instructions, let us know and I can forward a working example.

    Should your client have a desire to revamp the site, then I'd talk through the ideas and come back to us with a suggested framework.

  8. #18

    Default Re: Gallery Preview Rotated

    Quote Originally Posted by Initiostar View Post
    Sue,

    My start point would be to ascertain whether your client has any appetite for a redesign - at this time your site publishes as expected and the only issue that occurs (inconsistently) is photos are rotated 90 deg in preview, but not when published.

    It is relatively simple to a create custom-build photo grid - your 5 x 5 grid took about 15 minutes, no widgets and no soft groups. Your photos have a 4:3 ratio (500px /325px) which can be resized (in whole px) to 167px /125px with 30px spacers in a 5 x 5 grid on a page width of 1200px.

    From there you can drag your photos direct from the Bitmap Gallery - use Share with Variants for the mobile variant - the upside here is that you can easily change the variant layout to 3 columns for easier viewing.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Custom Photo Grid.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	118.4 KB 
ID:	128140

    If you want a template grid and some instructions, let us know and I can forward a working example.

    Should your client have a desire to revamp the site, then I'd talk through the ideas and come back to us with a suggested framework.
    Gary, as a matter of fact, the client has me do monthly updates and just recently asked me to put that on hold as the winter months are slow and they are cutting back expenses. All I need to do is add about 20 pictures. Thank you for confirming that it publishes properly, even though preview is rotated.

    At this time, I'll not do a redesign. If they pick back up with regular monthly updates, I would approach them with redesign idea. For future reference, I plan to pop on the forum for input at the start of the project. Sometimes customers ask for something that in my opinion doesn't look or work so great. The design you came up with is much more appealing; to highlight recent jobs and have online subsite or offline .PDF catalogue.

    Another reason to pop on here for project ideas is the current gallery is time intensive to update. We want the first page to show the most recent, and unless I have a full page of pictures to create a whole new first page, I am copying and moving pictures on all 12 pages of pictures. Unlike a widget that you drag and drop photos new photos, and it moves remaining photos down the list.

    Once again, many thanks for your input and I certainly welcome further input or ideas should you have any.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    728

    Default Re: Gallery Preview Rotated

    Maybe i'm missing the point - why can't you just draw a rectangle on a page the size you want the overall grid to be. Then set up horizontal guidelines that are say 150px apart. Drag one pic onto the page, position and resize - you can also crop the image using the photo tool.
    Drag next image position, resize, rinse and repeat. Once you've completed the grid, select all the images and use Image\Properties\Pop up\Options to create the pop ups. Delete the rectangle guide you used.
    Example
    http://seascapephotographs.com/sea_and_rocks.htm
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	grid1.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	108.8 KB 
ID:	128146  

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Harwich, Essex, England
    Posts
    20,122

    Default Re: Gallery Preview Rotated

    You're not missing anything LGF, your method is excellent. However Sue has a specific need and I expect almost all the images she uses are of a standard size and she also wants a background border with a wall shadow. She doesn't want the bother of needing to resize each and every photo brought into her website, hence the template solution.

    I'll post my template solution shortly which I believe will suit Sue's requirements as well as being useful to other Xara users.
    Egg

    Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

 

 

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •