Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Export problem: banding in image and memory error

I am trying to export an image as jpg, 300dpi (15.593 x 14.325 pixels). After rendering the image has large colour bands and after the render process I get a warning popup that there is no memory to render a bitmap (or something like that).
    I have bigger and more detailed images that render just fine. I tried several times, also after restarting my computer.
    All on Designer Pro X, latest version.

See attached image for the result.

Anyone have an idea what is happening here?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Padmasambhava v0_67 s.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	174.5 KB 
ID:	128062  

Default Re: Export problem: banding in image and memory error

Beautifully meticulous drawing as ever Fred. However I can't see any banding on your attachment. Can you Alt-screen grab the error message re memory error?
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Hi Fred

Are you working on a 32-bit machine? Probably not.

But, if so then Windows can only access a small amount of memory. There is a utility that allows Windows 32-bit to access more memory.

There is a dark blue rectangle from left to right behind the two top figures in the sky and a green one behind the head of the main figure.
    I just exported a 250dpi image that went fine. I also just removed some low dpi bitmaps, that I used for reference. I am going to try another 300dpi and will screen-grab the error message if it pops up.

it could be that the program is having an issue compositing, and that might cause your memory issue - this is not necessarily a function of detail so much as the way in which you have created the effects in terms of blends/contours etc and how they interact during the process

if I had this problem I would make a copy of my file for backup and then flatten each layer, ie select all the objects on the layer, make alpha bitmap copy, then delete the objects

once done flatten these bitmaps by creating an alpha bitmap copy of them all, and again delete them to leave only the one final composite bitmap on one layer which can then be rendered out

EDIT - if you are the sort that does not use layers, then the same applies for groups in the stack of your layer, though you might well be able to take them in batches - it's easier if you use layers though, not that xara agreed the last time I happened to mention it
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

If this is correct, I think we'd need to look at (a cut down version) of your xar file.

You'd probably need to upload it via dropbox or similar.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	export.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	233.1 KB 
ID:	128063  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Yes, these are the bands that shouldn't be there.

I am going to do some tests and get back to you all, Thanks for the replies!

So I did some tests. Tried the one from Handrawn but I got the message that certain transparencies could not be translated to bitmap so the end result would not be the same. (@Handrawn: I use layers - lots of them )
    So, I moved the file to my laptop that has 16 GB of RAM and that generated well, so it is definitely a memory problem. Since my main computer has only 8 MB I am going to get me some extra RAM to solve the problem. In the meantime I'll use my laptop for the export.

I know that it is tangential but I think the free Xara Cloud will generate your file as the render is done by the Xara server.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat