Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Pasteboard fix (update 20.4.0.60286) and 'Dear Xara'

Good to see the pasteboard bug fix in the latest Pro+ version but as far as I can see the pasteboard still has the same limitations beyond the area covered by the rulers.

For example:

1. create a new 'A4 - Portrait (blank)' document
    2. display rulers (if not already showing)
    3. create a 1 x 1 cm rectangle shape
    4. zoom out to 25%
    5. move the shape to the far right of screen beyond the rulers
    6. zoom into 75%

The shape is now completely off screen and inaccessible, for me at least with a HD screen (1920 x 1080 px).

Dear Xara... Might be useful if the 'outer pasteboard' area was a different colour to indicate it behaves differently.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pasteboard.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	30.0 KB 
ID:	128059

Note the above screenshot is fuzzy because it was done Xara Photo & Graphic Designer which does not support Windows scaling!!! - Come on Xara! Update the rest of your programs (please).

For non Xara Designer Pro+ users a partial work around for drag copying on the pasteboard (that is beyond the rulers), to prevent the copy unexpectedly jumping off somewhere, is to always click drag towards the direction of page. For example drag to the left if on the right side of the pasteboard.
    Jon (Jono) Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 19.0.0.64329 DL x64 May 19 2022

Default Re: Pasteboard fix (update 20.4.0.60286) and 'Dear Xara'

Quote Originally Posted by Jonopen View Post
    Good to see the pasteboard bug fix in the latest Pro+ version but as far as I can see the pasteboard still has the same limitations beyond the area covered by the rulers.

For example:

1. create a new 'A4 - Portrait (blank)' document
    2. display rulers (if not already showing)
    3. create a 1 x 1 cm rectangle shape
    4. zoom out to 25%
    5. move the shape to the far right of screen beyond the rulers
    6. zoom into 75%

The shape is now completely off screen and inaccessible, for me at least with a HD screen (1920 x 1080 px).
    It depends on your definition of "inaccessible".
    Yes, it is a pain that you can drag a shape far away and lose sight of it. Equally, you can throw it out by adding a silly X- or Y- dimension.
    I have done both. To recover I usually select the shape in the Layer gallery, Cut and Paste.
    This centres the shape into the current design viewport.

Equally, you can expand the X-Ruler by changing the value of the Outer Margin to around 900cm.
    At 5%, I have to span two monitors to get all the Ruler in.
    Then, by picking Zoom to selection, the shape is scaled and centred.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

my solution would always be to increase the outer margin

I think it was Xara's GerryI who said [ages ago], when I queried why ctrl+A was not selecting everything, that the program is only intended to work to the boundary of the outer margin
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Thanks for tip about increasing the outer margin size. I've now updated my default template.

It’s not that I really find any of these things a major problem, it’s just I forget the Xara pasteboard works differently to other programs like Adobe Illustrator & Affinity Designer, and seeing that it had been updated, thought that might be something that had changed.

I generally don't often worry about page size and leave the 'Lock page size' option unlocked, then drag out the page edge to increase my working area as required. Another solution I've seen mentioned on the forum is to use a huge page size like A0.
    Jon (Jono) Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 19.0.0.64329 DL x64 May 19 2022