Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Why Xara Designer Pro+

@acorn. Features > Limited. What the heck does that mean?

For the sites I do there’s no way a non profit can afford $$ per month. Apparently there is some kind of break for non profits but I’ve been unable to find it.
    -Bill
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design
    XARA Pro+. WD17, Designer 17. Premium packages.

Quote Originally Posted by bwood View Post
    @acorn. Features > Limited. What the heck does that mean?
    I don't know but my guess above was it referred to the crippled sub-products in https://www.xara.com/uk/designer-pro/compare/.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

To all! I’m thinking at the moment to shift all my sites to Pro+. The non profit price is quite attractive.
    Question. Will my current sites open on the Cloud based version of Xara? Will everything work as constructed in the DP versions?

Many Thanks,
    Bill
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design

Quote Originally Posted by bwood View Post
    To all! I’m thinking at the moment to shift all my sites to Pro+. The non profit price is quite attractive.
    Question. Will my current sites open on the Cloud based version of Xara? Will everything work as constructed in the DP versions?

Many Thanks,
    Bill
    Bill, everything will work as if you were using XDPX on the Desktop with Xara Designer Pro+.

The Cloud only gets involved if you enable a Cloud server to store your design files.
    I use Dropbox anyhow and occasionally I open the design file in Xara Cloud+.
    The things you can see, you can edit and if you have XDP+ open, the changes in either are quickly reflected in the other when you perform a Save. Do note Xara Cloud(+) is not yet fully featured to take over as a replacement for your Desktop application.

What I use Xara Cloud+ for is to present my website using Share > Share to web. This is a SSL-secure link so I am happier to present my designs with clients during development.
    The Share > Download options are also useful.

Xara Cloud+ is effectively a rendering engine of Xara Designer Pro+ on a server rather than on your machine.
    Unless someone corrects me, there is no direct path to publishing your design from Xara Cloud into your server Provider's environment.

I am quite happy with the service, although the earlier 2-hour response is now set at 3-hours.
    I also like the immediacy of changes.
    I am less bothered with it being a subscription as if it stops, I still have XDPXv17.0 to use and I could switch to a monthly subscription if I had a clutch of work.
    I do find I design down so my sites will still edit in the earlier versions so I am well-covered.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thanks @acorn. Appreciated.
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Bill, everything will work as if you were using XDPX on the Desktop with Xara Designer Pro+.

The Cloud only gets involved if you enable a Cloud server to store your design files.
    I use Dropbox anyhow and occasionally I open the design file in Xara Cloud+.
    The things you can see, you can edit and if you have XDP+ open, the changes in either are quickly reflected in the other when you perform a Save. Do note Xara Cloud(+) is not yet fully featured to take over as a replacement for your Desktop application.

What I use Xara Cloud+ for is to present my website using Share > Share to web. This is a SSL-secure link so I am happier to present my designs with clients during development.
    The Share > Download options are also useful.

Xara Cloud+ is effectively a rendering engine of Xara Designer Pro+ on a server rather than on your machine.
    Unless someone corrects me, there is no direct path to publishing your design from Xara Cloud into your server Provider's environment.

I am quite happy with the service, although the earlier 2-hour response is now set at 3-hours.
    I also like the immediacy of changes.
    I am less bothered with it being a subscription as if it stops, I still have XDPXv17.0 to use and I could switch to a monthly subscription if I had a clutch of work.
    I do find I design down so my sites will still edit in the earlier versions so I am well-covered.

Acorn
    Publishing. If you are using Xara Desktop to publish a site and the .xar/.web file has the required settings, then you can open, edit and republish the site with Xara Cloud. There are scheduled improvements in this area of Xara Cloud, including better feedback and collaboration workflow between designer and client (or document creator and other team members). Hope this helps highlight a few more capabilities of Xara.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Publish with Xara Cloud - Share menu.png 
Views:	66 
Size:	31.5 KB 
ID:	128071Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Publishing with Xara Cloud.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	17.7 KB 
ID:	128072

Yet I did my decision and swamped into Xara Pro+.
    For my daily graphic work I need Xara DPX.

To get in future more and better tools I decided to support Xara by subscribing. After all, I also earn money using the software.

Xara DPX by Magix is for me a dead horse.

Quote Originally Posted by ernie-f View Post
    Yet I did my decision and swamped into Xara Pro+.
    For my daily graphic work I need Xara DPX.

To get in future more and better tools I decided to support Xara by subscribing. After all, I also earn money using the software.

Xara DPX by Magix is for me a dead horse.
    Thank you for your support.

Quote Originally Posted by MB365 View Post
    Publishing. If you are using Xara Desktop to publish a site and the .xar/.web file has the required settings, then you can open, edit and republish the site with Xara Cloud. There are scheduled improvements in this area of Xara Cloud, including better feedback and collaboration workflow between designer and client (or document creator and other team members). Hope this helps highlight a few more capabilities of Xara.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Publish with Xara Cloud - Share menu.png 
Views:	66 
Size:	31.5 KB 
ID:	128071Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Publishing with Xara Cloud.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	17.7 KB 
ID:	128072
    Matt, what I was getting at is there is not a Publish option directly from Xara Cloud; it has to be publish through Xara Designer Pro+ first to then see the "re-publish" option.

Acorn

@mb365. Hi Matt.

I’m probably going to Pro+ per annum at 50% off. I expressed to your staff that I was working for a number of non profits, and they indicated I’d get 50% off lifetime. I’m a little surprised I didn’t have to prove in any way that I’m working for a non profit. No charitable numbers for taxes etc, no credentials from the non profit.
    As well you indicate that there’s special rates for non profits, but it seems that anyone can get 50% off initially. In addition I’m a senior on a very limited income. The non profits do not pay me.

What is the Xara deal for non profits, and why is there no proof that a builder is working for a non profit.
    Thanks in advance for the clarification Matt.

-Bill
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design