Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Exclamation Why Xara Designer Pro+

I have an email from that compares Xara Designer Pro+ with "Other Xara Desktop".

I can only assume the "Limited" is referencing the Xara Desktop applications that are not Xara Designer Pro.

What is more unsettling is the number of updates a year.
    A time back, on joining as CEO, Matt Bolton addressed us with https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...EO-Matt-Bolton.
    His "We will continue, as we always have, to release new features and performance improvements on a consistent basis." is now two times a year: the first is a major marketing release that Magix insists on. The second is a bug fix release as the first has next to little proper beta testing.

My take:
    For those on the Magix Update Service, you ideally need to ensure your renewal date is after the second release to realise any real benefit.
    Those a month before have potentially a buggy version for six months and a less buggy version for a further five.
    In, accepting the next version, and not renewing the Update Service, you could face a buggy new version and to regress, you fall back to the buggy prior one.
    Even as late as https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...150#post625150 in June, MB365 (Matt) neglected to advise the four updates a year he previously mentioned was now two.

Acorn

Designer Pro+ Other Xara Desktop
    Version 20.4 17.0
    Features All
    Photo, Illustration, Web, DTP
    Limited
    Updates 10+/year
    Always current
    2/year
    Wait for update service
    Distribution Xara Resellers like Magix
    Support Modern, real-time chat with industry leading response times Standard
    Offer Lock in 50% discount today & future credit for update service None
    Cloud Free None
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: Why Xara Designer Pro+

a gradual reduction in service usually means a sidelining of the product...

updates to pro+ 10 in the year
    updates to 'other' 2 a year

at that rate it is not going to be too long before pro+ is way ahead in features, and the 'other' versions trailing way behind, so far behind that they will just, well, languish in the shadows...

[ https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...197#post629197 ]

I do not know for sure if it was always Xara's intention to finesse a subscription model this way, but it is no real surprise is it...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

To be honest with the updates that I have seen for the + so far, I am not going to write home about them, so the xara pro with 2 updates a year is enough as if I will use those new updates. I am not loosing sleep over this.

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    I have an email from that compares Xara Designer Pro+ with "Other Xara Desktop".

You forgot (or maybe not) to mention the sender.

Quite a bit of interesting news but also confusing because XDP has the same (albeit not as up-to-date) feature set as XDP+.

Quote Originally Posted by behzad View Post
    To be honest with the updates that I have seen for the + so far, I am not going to write home about them, so the xara pro with 2 updates a year is enough as if I will use those new updates. I am not loosing sleep over this.
    I'll second that thought process. For me personally, the price jump from Web Premium to Pro+ is a larger step than Pro to Pro+ so the extra updates have to be even more special. Also SAAS. Only sellers like that, buyers don't.

Info Re: Why Xara Designer Pro+

Quote Originally Posted by Boy View Post
    You forgot (or maybe not) to mention the sender.
    Quite a bit of interesting news but also confusing because XDP has the same (albeit not as up-to-date) feature set as XDP+.
    Boy, i was focusing on the "new normal" comparison of Xara Designer Pro+ with the Magix Update Service version.

The sender was Ana a.k.a. info@mail.xara.com.

Here is a view of the email content. The missing icons are a small rocket:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Release.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	83.0 KB 
ID:	128052

I have not included the original as it has my email.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Boy, i was focusing on the "new normal" comparison of Xara Designer Pro+ with the Magix Update Service version.
    Increased update frequency sounds tempting but I wonder about the quality of these updates. Perhaps tomorrow mgmt. starts to focus on something else again.

I hope we can at least see a November 2020 update for Designer Pro X that incorporates all the improvements that have been added to Designer Pro X+ (sans cloud stuff).

There is also another possibility. We have to wait until Designer Pro X 18 in 2021 for the next update.

Quote Originally Posted by Promidi View Post
    I hope we can at least see a November 2020 update for Designer Pro X that incorporates all the improvements that have been added to Designer Pro X+ (sans cloud stuff).

There is also another possibility. We have to wait until Designer Pro X 18 in 2021 for the next update.
    Yeah me too.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Quote Originally Posted by Promidi View Post

As regards to enhancing Designer Pro X, it may not be in Xara's commercial interests to promote a true competitive product / (alternative pricing model) though its Magix reseller channel. Pro will get upgraded at some time, but maybe not with all the new goodies (whatever they might be).

It is sadly crass marketing on behalf of Xara and naïve at best to assume the majority of its historic customer base (handed-over to Magix) are going to roll-over and sign-up to a new Xara Pro+ @ circa £100 per annum (after the 50% discount).

Personally, I see no merit in maintaining a Magix Upgrade Service at £99 per annum either, when there is no visibility/roadmap/ timescale for any upgrade.

My current ongoing Xara cost is zero – when Pro v18 (or whatever it is called) appears, maybe in March 2021, it will be worth a look. Meantime and with many thanks to TG support, I'm staying put with Pro v17.