Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Xara/MAGIX vs AFFINITY

I'm not posting here to compare Xara Designer Pro against Affinity Designer, when it comes to drawing.
    I think there are many who are much more qualified, than I am.
    And to be honest, I've not used AD that much. Why? Well, I find Xara easy to use.
    No doubt, if I spend the same number of years on AD, I may also get proficient on AD.

What I do want to say is that Xara/MAGIX seem hell bent on pissing me off, whilst Affinity continue to provide good service.

This is the message I have to get past EVERY time I start XDP17.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xdp update.jpg 
Views:	309 
Size:	12.2 KB 
ID:	128022

And Xara/MAGIX Support has said: "The notification about your update service expired is unfortunately something that is not possible to get rid of, there is no way how to stop it from popping up."

Whilst Affinity continue to provide updates, even though I bought AD many, many years ago.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ad update.jpg 
Views:	294 
Size:	11.8 KB 
ID:	128023

And this was the second update from Affinity in about 5 months.
    For a product that's a fraction of the price of XDP.

I just don't understand what Xara/MAGIX hope to gain by this permanent message?!
    If it's more business, then it's unlikely to be from me.

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

Default Re: Xara/MAGIX vs AFFINITY

Good points Rik.

I paid 52,000 JP [from memory about 56 GBP at the time] for Paint Tool SAI in 2011 - since then the program has progressed from 32 to 64 bit and has had many new features and capabilities added; technically it is beta, but I do not find many bugs and I have never been asked to pay a single penny more

usually updates 2/3 times a year

now people like this get respect

[just making the point - PT-SAI is a 'manga style' app, not vector]
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Serif is competing for the Adobe market. Xara is not focusing on that, they are alone wolf.

I have Affinity Designer. I like it. But Xara is the “all in one” tool. Certainly Affinity has some great newsletter capabilities, and offers some very handy presets especially for Facebook and Instagram. Affinity is a great mock up tool. Works well on Mac too.
    Xara’s power lies in adjusting on the fly. For web very handy for photo enhancement again on the fly. It all depends upon your workflow and tools.
    If one has another web product, Adobe, coffee cup etc, Affinity is a tool to add to the toolbox.
    Affinity at the moment is not interested in producing a web program. Certainly Affinity Photo is an excellent replace for Photoshop.
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design
    XARA Pro+. WD17, Designer 17. Premium packages.

Affinity 50% sale

P&G 10, 11, 15; XWD Premium 11,15; XDPX 15.1; XDPX 18.5; XDPX 19; XBuilder;

This is an old thread, but at the end of the day, is it is not the software that makes the art but the artist using the software.

I 2nd that. Some people have made great graphics with microsoft paint back in the days

Quote Originally Posted by bwood View Post
    I have Affinity Designer. I like it. But Xara is the “all in one” tool. Certainly Affinity has some great newsletter capabilities, and offers some very handy presets especially for Facebook and Instagram. Affinity is a great mock up tool. Works well on Mac too.
    Xara’s power lies in adjusting on the fly. For web very handy for photo enhancement again on the fly. It all depends upon your workflow and tools.
    If one has another web product, Adobe, coffee cup etc, Affinity is a tool to add to the toolbox.
    Affinity at the moment is not interested in producing a web program. Certainly Affinity Photo is an excellent replace for Photoshop.
    I recently joined the Affinity Facebook group.

Wow is it busy. It very much has an enthusiastic vibe that is like talkgraphics used to be - about drawing stuff not websites. In an afternoon I've seen more artwork than in a year on Talkgraphics. Talkgraphics is something of a misnomer these days.

..and this afternoon someone was complaining that Affinity couldn't do what DrawPlus does.. ..so familiar when people move software.

Lightbulb Re: Xara/MAGIX vs AFFINITY

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    I recently joined the Affinity Facebook group.
    Wow is it busy. It very much has an enthusiastic vibe that is like talkgraphics used to be - about drawing stuff not websites. In an afternoon I've seen more artwork than in a year on Talkgraphics. Talkgraphics is something of a misnomer these days.
    ..and this afternoon someone was complaining that Affinity couldn't do what DrawPlus does.. ..so familiar when people move software.
    People develop their art skills all the time and stop contributing as they are drawing and painting. Artists need to present their work and the web is next to free, which is where the skew comes in (I do think there are more monotheist church sites than artists' ones!). Compare the cost against canvas, brush, paint and print materials. That said the XDA is a vector program so some may not switch easily to this 'media', preferring to paint pixels instead.

I believe building a website is an art, as is creating a cursive document and both are as "graphic" as a drawing.
    Xara offers photo manipulation with OLE out to a third-party editor (Affinity Photo, Photoshop, etc).
    It certainly needs better ImpEx using SVG to Affinity Designer and other vector programs.
    Tellingly, Affinity Publisher knock spots off the XDA in lots of areas for PDF manipulation.

The attraction of the XDA is, however, its simpler user interface (present changes notwithstanding) and seamless integration.

Where Xara lets itself down is its naff subscription model: Affinity states "You do not need to remain online or signed in to use this content." Wouldn't that be nice? Affinity keeps throwing free content at me and I get to keep it too.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat