Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: ICON't believe it!

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    I'm not against apple kit at all - just the pricing....

we all decide for our selves, plus I like to customise my hardware which is easy with windows based kit, and [possibly as a result of that] I have an aversion to buying second hand technology
    I used to buy loads of PC kit and make my own computers and my wife once paid over £1,000 on a Sony VAIO Laptop ( a beautiful design) and it made her very happy.. until there was a problem with the power plug and then it was a nightmare to source parts.

Besides that I regularly purchased second-hand Dell laptops because they are so easy to upgrade and repair because parts are easily available.

If we had plenty of surplus cash I'd just buy new stuff too, but that's not the case. We have saved a fortune buying second-hand kit, but that's probably because I'm happy to take it apart and fix it or enhance it. I can't do that with any of our current kit apart from my wife's laptop.

I think the Apple experience shows the value of real user experience vs bullet-point features and part of that experience.

I know plenty of PC people that spend a lot more money on their PC systems than I do on my Apple kit.

In terms of customisation, I have an Arduino sitting in a box together with a kit of parts to build a replica PDP-11, switches and flashing lights and all. One day I'll get the soldering iron out!

Despite the deviation about the pros and cons of Apple kit, I made the post as an interesting story of how good design can really pay back.

sure - I appreciate that, and it is a good story

despite my comment in the other thread about not looking back, I do remember the ICL 1900 with core memory [wire on magnet] that we had to lift the lid off and blow cold air through to stop it overheating because it was not designed to operate in a faraday cage...

those were the days.. nowadays everything is just expected to work out of the box...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

sure - I appreciate that, and it is a good story

despite my comment in the other thread about not looking back, I do remember the ICL 1900 with core memory [wire on magnet] that we had to lift the lid off and blow cold air through to stop it overheating because it was not designed to operate in a faraday cage...

those were the days.. nowadays everything is just expected to work out of the box...
    I used an ICL 1900 back in the day in my O- Level, then A-Level Computer Science course.

george III, amber text screen, and playing chess whilst the computer took four hours to do what would now be done in four millisecs, breaking off occasionally to change tape or EDS... mis-spent youth you might say....
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

george III, amber text screen, and playing chess whilst the computer took four hours to do what would now be done in four millisecs, breaking off occasionally to change tape or EDS... mis-spent youth you might say....
    George IV, , PDP 8, ICL1902 & Hollerith Cards and then a teletype to the mainframe with a thing called BASIC using something called ASCII. Before that it was switches, assembler, APL and PL/1. Onto Exidy Sorcerer, the Atom, Electron and rocketed into BBC BASIC with its Models A/B and Acorn Archimedes, meeting Computer Concepts and ArtWorks. All could be taken apart physically and logically so never had the need for Apple II or later.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat