Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Text update

Default Text update

Hi wonder if anyone can help. I belong to a group who supply emergency communications and I would like to put their current status on their website is on standby, clear, on call. As these status can be last minute things I don't want to have to update the whole page by computer. Anyone know a way I can update say a text box with the current status without having to redesign and publish the page everytime.
    Thanks
    Steve

Default Re: Text update

This post was moderated. I have approved it and moved it to the Xara Web Design Forum.

The approach to follow is a jQuery Ajax call().
    https://www.w3schools.com/jquery/ajax_load.asp but instead of a button trigger, you would have a loop of 15 seconds to find the file and display its changed contents.
    You simply upload the file change and the code does the rest.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Or my old favorite, google drive sheet converted to web page. Inserted into a placeholder. Click the 'Link to Update' text. This opens the gogle sheet, Left click on the row number, change the fill to Green or White. Don't alter the Time/Date. It's not instant but usually updates within 2 to 3 minutes.

DEMO
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

As always a great solution and one I can't quite follow:

$("#div1").load("demo_test.txt");
    Where does the 'demo_test_txt' reside???

EDIT:
    Found it https://www.w3schools.com/jquery/demo_test.txt
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Info Re: Text update

Here is a simple solution that might meet your needs:
    JS - Status Updater.xar

I include a published version: http://acorn.xara.hosting/status/.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

thanks, will take a closer look at this. sounds like it maybe what I'm looking for.

love the demo and it looks like what I'm after. Have created my google sheet. but not sure how to get the sheet into my website looking like the status box in your demo. any jhints much appreciated. all new to me.
    Steve

Thanks again finally got my head round it and now work on the site help much appreciated
    Steve

A long one this, but in reality it's a very quick way to set up an editable table using this method. It's just explaining the method takes far longer than just using it.

Egg