Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Removing large file from project

I love Web Designer (mostly) but trying to do some things is infuriating!
    I added an mp4 file to a project recently but realised it was 30Mb so chose not to use it. I deleted it but Web Designer Premium refuses to let it go and I can't find any way of deleting it. I've even tried deleting it from the exported html files and re-saving the project with a different name but each time I upload WD takes longer than necessary as it continues to export the movie to html and upload to my webspace even though I can't find any reference to it in the project.
    It's driving me mad and starting to put me off using Xara.

I can't find any way to purge the project and it doesn't show up in any of the galleries - where is WD hiding it?

Default Re: Removing large file from project

well you cannot remove it from outside the program, because that does not remove the instruction to include it, which is inside the program
    I would imagine you remove it by doing the reverse of what you did to include it - remove the placeholder maybe?
    but that said I am not a website builder, so it may be more compliocated
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

kilo, it's possibly still lurking in %localappdata%\Temp\XaraTempSupportFolders\.
    https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...-New-Year-Gift.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    kilo, it's possibly still lurking in %localappdata%\Temp\XaraTempSupportFolders\.
    https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...-New-Year-Gift.

Acorn
    Thanks Acorn but that hasn't got rid. There were 15 copies of the video in the Xara Backup folders (nearly half a gig) I deleted all the backups, opened Xara and re-uploaded the site and it still uploaded the video to my webspace - it's being stored in the project somewhere even though I deleted it!

Quote Originally Posted by kilo View Post
    Thanks Acorn but that hasn't got rid. There were 15 copies of the video in the Xara Backup folders (nearly half a gig) I deleted all the backups, opened Xara and re-uploaded the site and it still uploaded the video to my webspace - it's being stored in the project somewhere even though I deleted it!
    OK but the folder I suggested isn't a backup. I suppose we need to know how you are adding the video.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

and where the source video is that xara is referencing...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Apologies for any delay in replying, I'm currently on a zoom lads night in ;-) The file was drag & drop from another folder.

I have a habit of moving folders so you may have to search. Xara keeps things like that in a folder named 'xarainfo'. Mine is located in my Pictures library.

Search your PC for the name of the video and see if an instance is in a xarainfo folder.

Perhaps a clue here?

Ctrtl+Shift+Alt+A Attach File

from Gerry I

It attaches a file to an object in the document. When the document is exported to HTML the file will be included in the index_htm_files folder. If the file is a .js or a .css then the relevant code to include the file in the HTML page will be added to the header. If more than one object on a single page has the same file attached then the file will only be referenced once in the HTML page.

This allows you to easily add css or script files to placeholder objects and have them automatically plumbed in to the HTML page. Then the placeholder code can simply use the script functions or css styles.

This mechanism is designed to (eventually) replace the "support files folder" mechanism that is currently used when you embed various files into a page (PDF, MP4 etc). It has the advantage of the files being attached to the object that requires them so the placeholder object can be easily copied between pages or even between documents and the attached files will be copied as well.

There is another related, undocumented feature. If you apply a name of "UsesJQuery" to an object then the jquery.js script file will be included in the HTML export without clashing with any eyecatcher type widgets that also use JQuery.

Gerry
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Thanks guys!
    Seems that XWD had created a folder with an ending of _web_files in the folder where the XWD project file was stored which had a copy of not only the video but also the video control graphics in but nothing else.
    I've deleted that folder, re-uploaded to the web and re-exported the html files to another folder on my PC and the video eppears to have gone from both.

Seems that XWD likes to create all sorts of hidden folders in lots of places and fills them up with numerous copies of big files - are Xara in the market for selling hard drives?