Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default List of what Xara is not capable of (web only)

So friends, I love Xara, I am sure we all do. Just wanted to find out what Xara is not capable of or good at?
    I think in my list, the first one that I think of is Database.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

I just want to know when I start a project for a client that a year down the road they don't ask for something that Xara can not do, or anything is possible?

Lets chat with our Masks on

Default Re: List of what Xara is not capable of (web only)

Widgets. A few work fine, but for many more the instructions that Xara has are convoluted and complicated. Unless one is an experienced coded instructions fail. The Facebook widget is a nightmare. Maps are fine. YouTube would only work with a placeholder with instructions from Acorn. Jotform is so so.
    I don’t think I’d have a site without @acorn.

Incidentally I love Xara. The only software I use religiously on the PC platform.

Bill
    Last edited by bwood; 29 September 2020 at 04:22 PM.
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design
    XARA Pro+. WD17, Designer 17. Premium packages.

WEB STUFF

Supersite on Variant with Conventional in Desktop.
    Why Xara cannot see why, I despair.

Useful NavBars.

Rotated Text as text.

Proper HTML Tables.

I personally can do all these with code and other kludges...

XARA STUFF

integrate new functions properly.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Their unwillingness to fix what's already there. If you look through this forum there are a lot of things that need 'tidying'. Tables, Navbars, widgets (as Bill mentioned) most things that start with Smart....talking of which:

I played with Pro+; using the quick shape tool, how go you draw a simple oblong? For me it came out as a square with random rotation that I then had set to 0 degrees, then use both horizontal and vertical handles to make, what used to be, a single operation rectangle. Holding the ctrl kind of keeps the random rotation under control, but it still adds several moves.

Their unwillingness to fix what's already there. If you look through this forum there are a lot of things that need 'tidying'
    Oh yes! Stupid things like the page background having a drop shadow. Remove it. Fine. carry on working with the file and suddenly and unnoticed the sodding shadow sneaks back in uninvited. When working on a site over several days or weeks the number of times I have to delete the dropshadow does my head in.

@ Behzad. Xara isn't capable of heating my meatballs and many other things. Xara create static websites. WYSIWYG sites. It's doesn't use databases. It doesn't do laundry, clean cars or compete in the Americas cup. In fact the list of what it doesn't do is endless
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

oH Egg Name:  Screenshot_1.png
Views: 142
Size:  37.1 KB

Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Oh yes! Stupid things like the page background having a drop shadow. Remove it. Fine. carry on working with the file and suddenly and unnoticed the sodding shadow sneaks back in uninvited. When working on a site over several days or weeks the number of times I have to delete the dropshadow does my head in.

@ Behzad. Xara isn't capable of heating my meatballs and many other things. Xara create static websites. WYSIWYG sites. It's doesn't use databases. It doesn't do laundry, clean cars or compete in the Americas cup. In fact the list of what it doesn't do is endless
    I wondered about the page drop shadow. Happens to me as well.
    Here’s the thing. If you are a relatively new user, as myself, if you don’t know the program extremely well, you second guess yourself and think the problem is user related. Having the manual open all the time, along with this forum I’m understanding the idiosyncrasies of the program. But I still second guess myself on advanced features. There’s many features and I open WD everyday. The newbie expects the widgets to work well, the drop downs to look better, pages not to have a drop shadow.
    Acorn, Egg, Gary, and Behzad thank you for your guidance.

-Bill
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design

I wondered about the page drop shadow. Happens to me as well.
    Here’s the thing. If you are a relatively new user, as myself, if you don’t know the program extremely well, you second guess yourself and think the problem is user related. Having the manual open all the time, along with this forum I’m understanding the idiosyncrasies of the program. But I still second guess myself on advanced features. There’s many features and I open WD everyday. The newbie expects the widgets to work well, the drop downs to look better, pages not to have a drop shadow.
    Acorn, Egg, Gary, and Behzad thank you for your guidance.

Adding to the original post. I don’t think that WD does a good job at drop down menus at all. A couple of folks I’ve convinced to buy WD stumble on drop downs. Once they’ve figured it out they wonder why they look so bad.
    -Bill
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design

... carry on working with the file and suddenly and unnoticed the sodding shadow sneaks back in uninvited. When working on a site over several days or weeks the number of times I have to delete the dropshadow does my head in.
    The magic action where this occurs is when you edit a Placeholder. Even worse, it resets your Supersite back to conventional, just for laughs.

I recall a US car manufacturer had poor customer ratings. It waded through all the complaints and re-positioned the cigarette lighter and its cars became top notch.

Panem et circenses.
    Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat