Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New page deletes existing navbar button

I really should have asked for help before on this but never too late.

The Xara help page says 'If your bar has an unused button on it, then the first such button will be linked to your new page. If all buttons are already linked, a new button is automatically added to the end of your bar and it is linked to the new page.'

My buttons are all linked and so according to the above any new page should be added to the end of the bar. What is actually happening is that the new page is replacing an existing one. The only thing I can think that may be causing the problem is that in the navigation bar properties, in most cases, I have ticked the 'do nothing' box under 'Buttons and Menus' because my links are within those buttons, not the buttons themselves.

Eg People no link
    Name link
    Name link

Places no link
    Place link
    Place link

I wonder if my idea of an unused button is different to Xara's.

Any advice?

Default Re: New page deletes existing navbar button

Quote Originally Posted by JFry View Post
    I really should have asked for help before on this but never too late.

The Xara help page says 'If your bar has an unused button on it, then the first such button will be linked to your new page. If all buttons are already linked, a new button is automatically added to the end of your bar and it is linked to the new page.'

My buttons are all linked and so according to the above any new page should be added to the end of the bar. What is actually happening is that the new page is replacing an existing one. The only thing I can think that may be causing the problem is that in the navigation bar properties, in most cases, I have ticked the 'do nothing' box under 'Buttons and Menus' because my links are within those buttons, not the buttons themselves.

Eg People no link
    Name link
    Name link

Places no link
    Place link
    Place link

I wonder if my idea of an unused button is different to Xara's.

Any advice?
    Try adding a # link to the no-link buttons while you are creating the new page to see if that makes any difference.

It does sound buggy.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Um, what is a # link? Sorry.

Um, what is a # link? Sorry.
    Simply type in a # in the Link box. When such a link is clicked is goes to the top of the current page.

I wanted to check that having something in the link made the NavBar creation work differently.

I now have the time to check...
    ...OK

When you have ticked Site Navigation Bar automatically links to site pages then any blank URL is removed.
    It is only then that things misbehave.

Untick and add pages and re-order by hand.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

By the Link box, do you mean in navbar properties? If so, there are a number of 'link to' options.

By the Link box, do you mean in navbar properties? If so, there are a number of 'link to' options.
    Double-click on the NavBar and you then double-click on the URL box (second column).

Acorn

But I need to choose one of the options, eg 'web/email address', 'link to: page', 'link to: anchor' etc.

But I need to choose one of the options, eg 'web/email address', 'link to: page', 'link to: anchor' etc.
    It is a Link so you use Link to. All the others are dropdown assets in your design. The # is not an asset so Link to.

Acorn

I can only imagine how frustrating this is for you but .... Assuming you are referring to navbar properties, if I double click on the URL field, which is where the link options are, there is nowhere to put the # unless I choose one of the options.

I can only imagine how frustrating this is for you but .... Assuming you are referring to navbar properties, if I double click on the URL field, which is where the link options are, there is nowhere to put the # unless I choose one of the options.
    Don't worry, it's the first and topmost box.

Acorn