Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default ok - before I edit all 15 pages - is there a better way?

problem =
    made a bottom row title bar with links in it
    grouped - then said repeat all pages
    it did
    but after posting = the links stopped working
    I peeked into the source code and saw the bottom title bar was now a PNG????
    so - getting better at playing sherlock ... deduced that making a Group might be the problem
    so I click UN-group (got a warning message that said will stop repeating I ungroup
    said ok - even though fearful it would disappear from the other pages-- it did not disappear
    so - I can now go UNGROUP every page (not that hard to do)
    BUT
    might as well now ask if there is a better solution (to add to my knowledge base)

THANKS!

ps
    where can we view our sourse code per page in XARA? or do we need to publish/export first?

Default Re: ok - before I edit all 15 pages - is there a better way?

Try selecting your title bar, copy, open a new web file and paste.
    Now back in your original file select the title bar in any page and select then delete.
    Xara ask's if you want to delete just this page or all. Select All.
    Now back in the copy xar ungroup the title bar. Then Arrange / Apply Softgroup.
    Copy. Reopen the original, in the home page, hit paste. Position as required.
    Select Repeat on all pages.

where can we view our sourse code per page in XARA? or do we need to publish/export first?
    Just hit preview, best select view in newer browser, right click and select View Page Source.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Exactly the same but a few steps less.
    You've already stopped repeating one footer, so select the footer on a different page:
    Delete group. Choose to delete from ALL pages.
    Go back to the page with the ungrouped footer. Marquee select all footer items > repeat on all pages.

Indeed Chris!
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Chris M View Post
    Exactly the same but a few steps less.
    You've already stopped repeating one footer, so select the footer on a different page:
    Delete group. Choose to delete from ALL pages.
    Go back to the page with the ungrouped footer. Marquee select all footer items > repeat on all pages.
    Exactly my approach. I have been doing this for Repeating Groups top and bottom of a 100-page site but i had to get everything just right so I also did Egg's way as a fall-back.

Instead of Grouping, I automatically use Soft-Group and to be really safe add the content into a separate Layer.
    You do need a different strategy if rollovers are involved.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

1. understand all the replies = TY
    2. so this is why SOFT group is better than Group = (still learning)
    3. Acorn said different if rollover == well - they are LINKS to pages = is that same as rollover?
    (my links have color change (I edited the default colors and added a bulge animation

ok - here is what I did, combining from above ideas
    as the bottom title bar on page 1 had links
    and was already UNGROUPED
    (black rectangle and text box with a different word for each word a link to a different page)

1. copied the black box and text box
    2. I made new page (in same document)
    3. Dropped in a copy of the black box and text box from page one
    4. Went to the new page 3, which was the old page 2
    5. Selected still grouped title bar at the bottom
    6. delete all
    7. Made sure it did not delete the spare on the new page 2, yes it was still there, but I did not need it
    8. Went back to page one and made a soft group
    9. I said repeat all pages
    10. Deleted the spare page 2

Did a local publish and Link still work
    Whole thing took under 60 Seconds
    You guys are great, thank you

Egg

Quote Originally Posted by TheeeDragon View Post
    so this is why SOFT group is better than Group = (still learning)
    the technical difference between an ordinary and a soft group is that orrdinary groups will reorder the postion of the objects in the stack [that is they will be moved so they are all together, one on top of each other, with nothing else in between], but soft groups do not, they leave the stack order unchanged, and that also means you can group across layers which ordinary groups cannot
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

And even more importantly for websites if you group an object (even a single object) it is exported as a bitmap. This isn't a good idea unless you want it to be a bitmap. Softgroups export as text and shapes whenever possible.
    Egg