Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default You're no fun any more...we need a tool to distress our artwork.

As a long-time user and a formerly frequent contributor to TG, I notice that a lot of the joy has been sucked out of TG and that is reflected in how I now use Xara Designer. I haven't updated for nearly a decade now, because there is absolutely nothing that catches my eye. No new vector tools in that time, just some bells and whistles. There seems no impetus to move the program forward with new vector drawing tools. I am tired of the pop-up messages urging me to spend money on gew-gaws that are of no interest.

I am too old to learn many more new tricks, but there is little chance of new tricks being added to Xara anyhow, so perhaps Xara and I are a perfect match after all.

New vector tools are urgently needed if Xara is to be considered as my (and your) go-to vector graphics program in the future...perhaps something like a vector distressing tool might do the trick. Vector is great, but sometimes it is just too clean or perfect and needs some tools to rough it up a bit. It would be nice to be able to apply distress (vectorly) to our work without having to draw it and then import it from Illustrator or CorelDraw.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xara Was Fun.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	185.2 KB 
ID:	127932  
    Last edited by iamtheblues; 24 September 2020 at 05:00 PM. Reason: add graphic
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Default Re: You're no fun any more...we need a tool to distress our artwork.

-------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Here's a very very old Workbook tutorial that will still work. http://archive.xaraxone.com/webxealo...k24/page_3.htm

And it works better if you make the profile 4 setting extreme as shown.

Name:	stamp_06.gif 
Views:	63 
Size:	33.5 KB 
ID:	127936   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	profile 4.png 
Views:	63 
Size:	27.8 KB 
ID:	127937  

@Gary, but it is not longer vector, the OP's posit.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Then do a bitmap trace.

Perhaps not distressed but more blurred. I created the drawing in Xara and exported as svg.
    In SVGator I applied a blur filter which I believe still retains vector properties.

Name:	export.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	132.6 KB 
ID:	127941  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 24 September 2020 at 11:12 PM.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Perhaps not distressed but more blurred. I created the drawing in Xara and exported as svg.
    In SVGator I applied a blur filter which I believe still retains vector properties.
    It is.
    @over 1MB, drag it through https://jakearchibald.github.io/svgomg/ and drop the Precision to 0. It becomes 112kB and adds in free extra grunge and still keeps as a vector.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Wow! That's a great svg link. Thanks for the link & the confirmation Acorn
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Then do a bitmap trace.
    spot on as usual ...

so I added a distressed [ if I understand the term correctly which I may well not] texture to mine and bitmap traced in xara.. voilą:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	twtd-d.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	53.9 KB 
ID:	127943

twtd-d.xar

still meaning tgo look into SVGator... never enough time
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

You should create a font out of that, Steve!
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.