Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post No audio (MP3) in Chrome?

Hi All,

This is a weird one but I am currently re-building my web site using WD17 and using embedded MP3 to play a jingle automatically when opening a specific page..
    Now the problem I'm having is that this works in every Internet Browser apart from Chrome....
    When opening the page in Chrome...Just silence.....Any idea's why?

Thanks,

Default Re: No audio (MP3) in Chrome?

Chrome has taste.

You will have to trawl through your Chrome settings.
    Try clearing the browser cache.
    Before that, get another to check with their Chrome installation.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Auto playing of audio and/or video has been discouraged and virtually stopped by all the major browsers unless certain criteria is met. Firefox is savage and simply blocks autoplay. Google has to pander to it's clients (advertisers) and falls shy of a ban, but limits it's use to a list of rules.

The initial Google restriction from 2018 < https://developers.google.com/web/up...policy-changes >

quite right too - automatic audio on a site is just plain rude

although there is an exception to every rule such as in the case of music oriented sites, just so long as the landing page gives you the opotion[s]
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Obviously the Snowflakes have managed to get Chrome to stop a useful feature....
    Funny thing is..it only happens whilst using Xara WD17 to create the page...I tried with an old copy of Frontpage and tested it via Chrome and it played fine!
    I'll have to inform my viewers to use Edge to benefit from the full features!

Quote Originally Posted by ukjingles View Post
    Obviously the Snowflakes have managed to get Chrome to stop a useful feature....
    Why is it necessary to insult people who have another view?

maybe it was a reaction to my comment about rudeness - not that I am a snowflake

I am not a website builder, just a website user ever since their was such a thing, maybe I am biased.. but..

although webmasters go on about 'visitors' this is in fact the wrong way to look at it - I invite a website onto my computer so that it can tell me something; I do not want it to be rude and interupt work or backgraoud audio processes; I have the right to be in control of it on my computer and that is more important than the site creator showing how clever they are....
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    maybe it was a reaction to my comment about rudeness - not that I am a snowflake

I am not a website builder, just a website user ever since their was such a thing, maybe I am biased.. but..

although webmasters go on about 'visitors' this is in fact the wrong way to look at it - I invite a website onto my computer so that it can tell me something; I do not want it to be rude and interupt work or backgraoud audio processes; I have the right to be in control of it on my computer and that is more important than the site creator showing how clever they are....
    I hate the term "snowflake". It's just a very petty intolerant insult to close off other people's opinions and denigrate them.

It's long been regarded as rude to push audio onto people without permission, but if you have a jingle site I guess you have an imperative to do it.

I did a Xmas song website and that drove me nuts because I couldn't shut that off during development!

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    I hate the term "snowflake". It's just a very petty intolerant insult to close off other people's opinions and denigrate them
    does no real service to those doing it either, but categorising is hard-wired into our conciousness; the brain is always looking out for patterns

It's long been regarded as rude to push audio onto people without permission, but if you have a jingle site I guess you have an imperative to do it.
    hence my: 'although there is an exception to every rule such as in the case of music oriented sites, just so long as the landing page gives you the opotion[s]'

I did a Xmas song website and that drove me nuts because I couldn't shut that off during development!
    yes indeed you have my sympathy, sound tracks can be the same when editing animation and video...
    Nothing lasts forever...

Handrawn: Off this topic, but thought of you the other day while watching Grayson Perry's American Road Trip (CH4) - he did his final Artwork on a Cintique (I think).