Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Link text on popup layer

Hi All - I feel I've asked this question many years ago (not sure how to access all questions I've ever asked ) but can't remember the answer. Can you link text on a popup layer to another page? It seems like that should be a no-brainer, but for some reason the text is not linked! When I hover over my menu word in a browser (I've made the menu myself) and the popup menu list appears, that list item is not clickable. What am I doing wrong? I have WOWSlider running behind it. I have a js code running to make an object appear then disappear on the screen. Is there just too much going on for Xara to handle? Or might there be some other issue I'm unaware of? HELP!

Default Re: Link text on popup layer

Can you link text on a popup layer to another page?
    Yes - just use the link dialogue box - recheck your intended page link first - if unsuccessful, then maybe post a picture of what you are trying to achieve?

Here is a sample file. The link 'About' when rolled over opens a menu popup layer. The first word in the list 'Welcome' is linked to the Welcome page, yet it does not allow me to click it to go to that page. I feel I must be missing something very simple. SMH

menu text link not working.xar

And when I rollover the word "Welcome" in the drop down menu, shouldn't it be turning the set mouseover color? What am I missing here?! I think my brain must not be working!

Hi Sorengen, having big issues getting my brain around this one too. I'll look at again tomorrow
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Thanks muchly! I appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by sorengen View Post
    Here is a sample file. The link 'About' when rolled over opens a menu popup layer. The first word in the list 'Welcome' is linked to the Welcome page, yet it does not allow me to click it to go to that page. I feel I must be missing something very simple. SMH

menu text link not working.xar
    1. On each of your submenus you have grouped a text area (where you have links) with the button and surrounding rectangle. This will not work - group the button and the rectangle ONLY and leave the text area as is (example XAR attached).

2. Avoid overlapping groups - your first two submenus overlapped (you can make all the layers visible to check they do not). Otherwise the MouseOver animation only works on the button area that is not bound by the overlapping group.

And when I rollover the word "Welcome" in the drop down menu, shouldn't it be turning the set mouseover color?
    It does now when you have a link, but you need to ensure you have a contrasting MouseOver colour in the Web Properties dialogue box.

I have put additional notes in the XAR doc - most relate to consolidating layers on to the MouseOff layer where appropriate and not having layers below the MouseOff layer. I would set the Scale-to-fit-Width maximum around 1280, not 2400 (tested on a 4K screen).

Hopefully this gets you restarted.

Gary
    Attached Files Attached Files

Lightbulb Re: Link text on popup layer

I too had a play along Gary's lines but I hated the centred Menu Items Gary chose and the sheer blockiness of your original menu itself.

I took the liberty of embellishing it into a tombstone, merely for dramatic emphasis, so that the design juices might flow for you.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rollover Menu.png 
Views:	104 
Size:	100.5 KB 
ID:	127933

Also if you check your original motif, you will find it has step changes that I am sure is an oversight.

Be consistent with your menubars: one is a click action, this one is a rollover.

I do like the fade bar but you could make it a graduated fade to give a depth to a scroll.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Initiostar View Post
    1. On each of your submenus you have grouped a text area (where you have links) with the button and surrounding rectangle. This will not work - group the button and the rectangle ONLY and leave the text area as is (example XAR attached). YES!!! THIS is what I forgot! UGH! Thank you so much! You are a LIFE SAVER!

2. Avoid overlapping groups - your first two submenus overlapped (you can make all the layers visible to check they do not). Otherwise the MouseOver animation only works on the button area that is not bound by the overlapping group. Ahhh, this gives me heartburn! Sigh... If I make it so the groupings don't overlap I have to make the text super small... otherwise I have to unevenly space out the buttons... and still make the text smaller to fit them on the page. (This client is wanting a very specific look and it seems I'm going to need to become a salesperson to convince them they really want something different. That's just not going to happen. ) Perhaps I could convince them no mouseover - just click and have drop down menus.

It does now when you have a link, but you need to ensure you have a contrasting MouseOver colour in the Web Properties dialogue box. -

I have put additional notes in the XAR doc - most relate to consolidating layers on to the MouseOff layer where appropriate and not having layers below the MouseOff layer. I would set the Scale-to-fit-Width maximum around 1280, not 2400 (tested on a 4K screen). I am using WOW Slider in the background so have to put that on a layer behind the 'sticky' header info and menus. Additionally, I tried setting the Scale-to-fit Width maximum to 1280 as you suggested, but then the site content does not reach the edges of my computer screen. The smallest maximum number I was able to set it to and still have it fit to the edge of my screen was 1600! I, too, do not like it looking so big, but I am unsure how to resolve this and still have everything fill the whole screen. Suggestions?

Hopefully this gets you restarted. I super appreciate the time you've taken to help me, thank you!

Gary
    Joy (sorengen)

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    I too had a play along Gary's lines but I hated the centred Menu Items Gary chose and the sheer blockiness of your original menu itself.

I took the liberty of embellishing it into a tombstone, merely for dramatic emphasis, so that the design juices might flow for you.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rollover Menu.png 
Views:	104 
Size:	100.5 KB 
ID:	127933

Also if you check your original motif, you will find it has step changes that I am sure is an oversight.

Be consistent with your menubars: one is a click action, this one is a rollover.

I do like the fade bar but you could make it a graduated fade to give a depth to a scroll.

Acorn
    Thanks Acorn! LOL - tombstone! Most of my creative juices are limited by client control... And yes, oversight on the click vs. rollover - thanks for the 'good eye'! Personally, I could do without the fade bar... but again, the client... lol

Joy (sorengen)