Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Video games

Default Video games

I go back to the time of vic 20 and commodore 64. I did design a few video games in assembly language back then and got it distributed in U.S and Canada. Me and my brother were heavly into any new console or computer that came out. We use to sit and type page after page, numbers (assembly code) and hope that we did not make a mistake to eventually play a simple game. We are talking about games similar to joust and pacman.

Now as I have gotten older, my love for video games still remains and the graphics was why I became so inclined to learn how to make video games. But I find that my drive to sit and play them even for a short time has totally disappeared. I was wondering you too are the same, if you hover around your mid 50's.

What were the games that you loved the most and what are you playing now. I bought a few pc games mostly cutesy platformers and I got the ps3 too. Not into killing and slashing games, more into Mario style adventure games.

Default Re: Video games

Don't play games anymore and not for a very long while either. I had a BBC computer and the one game that I spent hours on was Elite. I still think this game was a fantastic accompilment for the coders that created the game on such a (now) tiny spec machine. The radar view was out of this world and struggling to dock on a space station before gaining enough credit to purchase an auto-docker regularly reduced me to tears.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Played too many games to list here. Started with Atari 2600, then C64, Acorn A5000 and RPC 700, Playstation, finally changed to PC. Played about all kind of games, except for strategy type and building stuff.
    Currently have X4 Foundations + Split Vendetta, Bright Memory, Dishonored, Witcher 3 and Wing Commander installed. Didn't play for some weeks but definitely will start again.

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Don't play games anymore and not for a very long while either. I had a BBC computer and the one game that I spent hours on was Elite. I still think this game was a fantastic accompilment for the coders that created the game on such a (now) tiny spec machine. The radar view was out of this world and struggling to dock on a space station before gaining enough credit to purchase an auto-docker regularly reduced me to tears.
    The BBC computer was an amazing machine and all of my work colleagues had one and we swapped games between us. The BBC computer was widely used in business too because it was so capable.

Elite was amazing but I and my wife spent hours playing the Acornsoft adventures. Other big favourites were Aviator, Repton, Galaxians, Starship Command, Snapper, Monsters, GB Ltd, Jumbo.

Prior to the BBC computer we had an Atari Games console and Space Invaders will always be my favourite game.

In 2018 I made a pac-man clone for the iPad/iPhone.. https://apps.apple.com/us/app/immuno/id1390240488

I started with a Spectrum 48k then C64 and various consoles over the years. I remember playing games like Repton on a friends Acorn, good game. Most recently I've been playing Port Royale 4 and Crusader Kings 3 on PC but I like to play space sims the odd time too, most recently X-Rebirth. Also got a SNES mini a year ago for the kids and to scratch my retro gaming itch. Way too many fav games over the years to list, but yeah so far still a big gaming fan
    XT-CMS - a self-hosted CMS for Xara Designers - Xara + CMS Demo with blog & ecommerce shopping cart system.