Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Content dilemma

Default Content dilemma

I need some suggestions. I’m rebuilding a site for a local museum. Big job. It’s a small rural museum in a small city. Their old website has a ton of text. I’m weaning them off the text. I’d call the old sight a academia site, and the new one I’d like to do is far more contemporary and inviting. An example is www.billwood.ca. Under history click Early settlers and you’ll get the idea. Every page has a ton of text. Virtually unreadable on a phone, let alone a 960 px. Their old weebly site www.melfortmusuem.org is a crazy mess. So much text.
    What I’d like to do is a site a bit like the pic shown.
    Should I make a PDF and off load text for every page and link it? Can I put all the text into some sort of PDF manual.
    I want visitors and tours to this museum, but I can’t deal with the shear amount of text they still want available on the site.
    Suggestions very much appreciated.
    -Bill

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EE91D864-E2E9-4EE8-9AA4-EF74DAA5CB67.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	191.4 KB 
ID:	127897
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design
    XARA Pro+. WD17, Designer 17. Premium packages.

Default Re: Content dilemma

An off-the-page (get it?) approach is to use something like TiddlyWiki for all the text where you identify key words as Tiddlers and everything starts linking itself together.. The TiddlyWiki Search then pulls up hyperlinked topics. I would start by reading into the https://tiddlywiki.com/#Text-Slicer%20Edition.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

What do you dislike about the content Bill? After all it's a museum and that particular page is interesting within that scope.

Is it that it's just created on one long page format, that I agree does tend to make it look like a slog to read, even like a long Wikipedia page?

How about creating each early settlers story on an independent pop-up layer or on a supersite within an iframe? This tends to make the site a lot lighter, not overly content full whilst adding a bit of oomph.

If I remember correctly the site already exists so the present full content is still there so there's no no need re-typing the content anew, just copy and pasting into Xara and reformatting.

Here's an example using a supersite ifame within the main site. A further advantage is that splits the site into more managable sub-folders eraditacting the need to re-publish the whole site after each amendment.

LINK
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Egg. I really do the iframe idea. Looks good. I do know how to do a pop up layer. Is there some instruction on an supersite iframe in our manual?
    @acron. Also looking at Tiddlywiki.

-Bill
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design

@egg. Took your advice Egg. Pop up layer looks good. http://billwood.ca/indigenous%20peoples.htm

Thanks again,
    ~Bill
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design

Bill,

I took a look at what you just posted. How does someone know to click on the picture to get more information? I just happened to see my cursor change so that is how I found the other information. I think in Egg's original example he had button/tabs for clicking on.

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by RKissane View Post
    Bill,

I took a look at what you just posted. How does someone know to click on the picture to get more information? I just happened to see my cursor change so that is how I found the other information. I think in Egg's original example he had button/tabs for clicking on.

Ray
    Point taken. If you read the white text in the eclipse it presents the story. It could be written differently. A challenge is how many times I ask the viewer to click on a photo for a pop up layer story. Unless I recommend on every page to click on a photo for the story. I’m struggling with that a bit. I’m well versed in pop ups but an iframe supersite is above my pay grade.
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design

Could you not pop an info icon in the corner of each photo?

Name:  Icon Info.png
Views: 155
Size:  1.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Chris M View Post
    Could you not pop an info icon in the corner of each photo?

Name:  Icon Info.png
Views: 155
Size:  1.9 KB
    BRILLIANT! Brilliant. Chris I’ve been mulling this over all day, and cutting and pasting parts of an old weebly site into my design. That sign would tell them to click for more. My gosh that’s a great solution. Thank You!
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design