Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Lasso select a Button

Sorry. This must be easy - but I can't find anything in help about 'lasso select the button'. It's called a 'scribble' selection I had it last night - but the select > alt is not working for me. I'm designing some buttons for a nav bar I'm designing. Apologies again - but I know it's a select with 'alt' button held down.

I wonder if there's another way to soft group this button.

-Bill
    Last edited by bwood; 16 September 2020 at 06:16 PM.
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design
    XARA Pro+. WD17, Designer 17. Premium packages.

Default Re: Lasso select a Button

afaik you hold down alt and then drag across the objects you wish to select
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Just tried Alt drag with a nav bar and unless I am missing something it did not work.

If you need to make a global change, Ctrl click on the home button and change the color or text, unless you have buttons set to Adjust to labels, in that case you need to ungroup the nav bar. You will need to isolate the MouseOff layer because it will be hidden behind the MouseOver layer.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Just tried Alt drag with a nav bar and unless I am missing something it did not work.

If you need to make a global change, Ctrl click on the home button and change the color or text, unless you have buttons set to Adjust to labels, in that case you need to ungroup the nav bar. You will need to isolate the MouseOff layer because it will be hidden behind the MouseOver layer.
    Thanks for your trouble Gary and Handrawn. I tested a single button on a different doc and select>alt worked fine. (I was practicing last night) Then tried it on this museum site I'm working on and select>alt did not work. Even with a single button for a phone variant. Thanks guys - glad there was some work around.
    Not sure it didn't work though. I was reading up a web designer support paper. The lasso fooled me for a moment. Its called 'scribble select'.

-Bill
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design

no lasso tool in xara; that's a different concept; the scribble is a close as you get

[although if you are really good with the marquee select in 'adobe' mode you can build up a selection with the help of the shift key quicker that you might in normal xara mode; it depends what you are trying to do

'adobe' mode': marquee only has to cross part of an object to select
    'normal' xara mode: marquee has to totally enclose the object to select

shift key toggles add/subtract to selection as normal]
    Nothing lasts forever...

Not true HD:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	export.png 
Views:	71 
Size:	34.1 KB 
ID:	127896  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

sorry egg - what is not true...?

a lasso tool is a freehand tool that automatically closes itself [with a staight line] if you do not close it yourself - xara does not have this it only has marquee [retangular] - and the scribble select which has no boundaries to close

and your screen shot shows exactly what I said about 'adobe' / 'normal for xara' marquee - or am I missing something ?
    Last edited by handrawn; 18 September 2020 at 03:14 PM. Reason: sorry norma
    Nothing lasts forever...

Alt left click drag worked on a clean page. Just can’t figure out why it didn’t work on a page. I can always copy and paste the button. Oh well. Thanks all.
    W
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design

buttons are grouped ? [i'm not a webdesigner ] if so try holding alt and ctrl as you drag; you may have issues if there are soft groups, or if there are hidden/locked items in the mix..
    Nothing lasts forever...

'adobe' mode': marquee only has to cross part of an object to select
    'normal' xara mode: marquee has to totally enclose the object to select
    It's not true that Xara doesn't have an 'adobe' mode as you call it. It has two Xara options, not an adobe option.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host