Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default aspects of climate change - whatever the cause

leave aside the politics

read the article - it is long, but worth it

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...gtype=Homepage
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Default Re: aspects of climate change - whatever the cause

What I find almost as distressing at this devastation of California, where I was born and lived for almost 60 years of my life, is that the drastic changes in our planet should be considered political at all. California always had wild fires, some of them major, and flooding and mudslides caused by the inevitable rains that came the following winter. And I have lived through several major earthquakes. But nothing, nothing was as horrendously bad as the heat and the resultant wildfires. Anybody who tries to ignore or dismiss climate change as perhaps the greatest threat to this entire planet, is just in denial or being criminally misled. I am heartsick when I think of what we humans have done to this planet.

Thumbs up Re: aspects of climate change - whatever the cause

due to exploite of environment , we forgot to love the nature, save tree, save life, save human

the times they are a changin' Gary

it matters not why, as we are not clever enough to second guess nature... what matters is that we all understand what it means... for us
    Nothing lasts forever...

Anybody who tries to ignore or dismiss climate change as perhaps the greatest threat to this entire planet, is just in denial or being criminally misled.
    And there's one main contender for this title Gary ........
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

I'm from Ohio, USA. This thread is very close to being political, because there are two sides to choose from, just like politics. 50 Million years ago, when the big crater was still steaming, it was so hot on this planet that we had palm trees and crocodiles above the arctic circle. This planet will continue to change, regardless if there are people here or not. Long after humans are extinct, this planet will still be here, going through changes as throughout history.

because there are two sides to choose from
    never mind that - the article not about causes but about what choices we as individulas are prepared to make if/when where we live becomes unihabitable; the reasons for that can remain academic, they are irrelevant to the choices to be made when sh*t hits fan
    Nothing lasts forever...

This thread is very close to being political
    No, I didn't name the moron. Decisions that desparately need to be made unfortunately have to be made by politicians.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

I am living in the middle of it, as we speak. Outside my window are smokey skies. I am born and raised in Riverside, CA (SoCal). My apartment in Studio City (north of LA) was beat up during the Malibu fires, Northridge earthquake, LA riots, valley floods. The planet and the surrounding suns and planets are a lot bigger than the human influence on our planet. I am not confident that we can contribute much or change much. But, hey, I only live here. On the other hand, it would be wise for us to act as if we could make a difference. And then, let the gods decide. I also hope that the gods will prod Magix a little too. My two cents.

Hi Dan, keep safe.

The planet and the surrounding suns and planets are a lot bigger than the human influence on our planet.
    No argument there but the universe effects our planet over thousand of years, not 100 years. When I was a child sixty years ago I could easily find slow worms and lizards. Hedgehogs were regular visitors to our garden. I haven't seen a slow worm for over 10 years, a lizard even longer. Oh to see a hedgehog family trundle across my lawn.

Your quote above would be accepable over thosands of years period but the loss of of species over the past 100 years IS manmade.We are completely out of balance with nature. Unfortunately it isn't even us who'll reap what we sow, it's our children, grand children and our great grand children.
    Egg