Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs down cloud xara and magix xara

So now and then some of you post a file to help with a question. I download it and run it on my Xara pro, not the + version and it says
    it was made with a different version.

Is this really the sign of consistency? Considering they are both Xara and made by the same team? No other software has this kind of complication.
    So now what happens? Do I miss out on what the + users used in their xara? Does it screw up mine? Or dont tell me, tough luck move from Magix to the cloud?

Is this backward compatibility , I hate to call it that. I have a name for it but refrain from using it.

Default Re: cloud xara and magix xara

We're back to the SAAS and outright buy. Designer + is SAAS and receives updates/improvements on the fly. Designer Pro and the rest of the Magix/Xara family receive their updates in timed releases.

Designer + will always be a different version to Designer pro, but 99% of the time everything will be compatible. Ever get the 'so and so font isn't installed'? Works anyway...similar thing.

It's always been that way. If I created a xar file in Xara Designer Pro X 10 and attached it here, a user who opened it and only had Xara Designer Pro X 9 would receive that warning. Simarly if I created a file in Xara Designer Pro + and you were to open it in Xara Designer Pro X 10.

If you have earlier versions of Xara Designer still installed on your machine, try opening your latest version xar file in it. You'll get the exact same warning.

Backward compatibility is maintained but if the file has newer features they may not work in your version.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

sorry to disagee behzad, but all ongoing software has this issue, potentially; if things stood still we would all still be doing our drawing with charcoal sticks on the cave wall...

progress is not [always] going to go the way that pleases everyone, but progress things do; - I find the the notification [warning] useful, so I can watch out for any issues resulting from 'newer features' that egg mentioned
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

behzad, it is just noise. The pop-up is an Information notice when there is a Xara icon rather than a Warning sign.

More importantly, you should be checking that the Smart Shapes do not have a Use After Name in the Names gallery as the object will only then render as an image and not provide functionality or editorial capability in a earlier XDA.

I build in Pro+ and then test back all the way to v11 and I cannot think of any specific instance where I had a problem.
    Xara should be praised for this backward compatibility.

A paraphrase of Egg's summary.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thanks, so I was over reacting?

yep
    Nothing lasts forever...

Actually I think something else is going on with Magix. Typically in the past we would have patch updates on Pro during the summer and a new version released end of September/October time frame. We have not seen any updates since March and no patches. Pro + it seems is having updates every couple weeks. So why has Magix not rolled out a new patch?

And no I don't want to go to Pro + I would like to get what Xara and Magic said I would get with the price of the Pro.

I know, kind of beating a dead horse.

Ray

as i understand it, magix are only responsible for compiling and releasing updates - on that basis the first question might be, have they benn given anything new to compile ?
    Nothing lasts forever...

The dead horse is coming back to life as long as xara keeps changing their marketing plans. I too do not need the cloud and can wait on the updates but Magix does not even send out a newsletter. Also I feel like an outcaster having to wait for a patch from Magix to catch-up with the gang here at the fire-camp of cloud +. To me it is a division made between the two camps.