Thread: Gray diamonds

Default Gray diamonds

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Graydots.png 
Views:	100 
Size:	102.9 KB 
ID:	127869

Default Re: Gray diamonds

This generally indicates a transparent background. Select the image and create a bitmap copy, True Color (not with Alpha).

If you still have the gray grid, then select the photo, select the Photo Tool > Levels tool and drag the White Point eyedropper over the one of the gray squares.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	white point.png 
Views:	114 
Size:	75.1 KB 
ID:	127870  

Another method to try is:

1. use the Mask Painter tool and paint over the object you want to keep
    2. use the Eraser tool on one of the grey squares
    3. press the Erase background button in the context toolbar

Name:	remove background.png 
Views:	89 
Size:	157.3 KB 
ID:	127871
    Jon (Jono) Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 19.0.0.64329 DL x64 May 19 2022

Both excellent ideas.

Thank you gentlemen.

One last question:
    What idiot came up with the idea for that background to start with? (probably the same one who came up with common core math)

Bad Brad
    Last edited by BadBrad; 15 September 2020 at 01:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BadBrad View Post
    Both excellent ideas.

Thank you gentlemen.

One last question:
    What idiot came up with the idea for that background to start with? (probably the same one who came up with common core math)

Bad Brad
    I think you have the wrong idea about that background!

It's there to show you that for images that have transparency then where that background exists the image is transparent and if the image is saved in a format that supports transparency (.png for example) then that area will not exist. If you do a screen-grab or save as jpg then you'll get a background because transparency is not supported.

So if you ever get this checkerboard background in an image file, it's been saved to the wrong file format, or been screen grabbed.

In practice this checkerboard background is never seen in properly saved image files.

So the real question is why are you trying to remove a checkerboard that shouldn't be there in the first place!

Hi Paul:

So the real question is why are you trying to remove a checkerboard that shouldn't be there in the first place!
    Because most images with transparent background are saved on the internet with this chequered background. I think it's a Illy/photoshop thing.

Perhaps you can open the file in either of these programs but it's a bummer if you havent got them. Even opening them in Affinity Photo shows the checkered background. It would appear that by default images created in Illy/Photoshop export the checkers bt default.

I attach a Xara created transparent png with no checkers.

Here's an example of these images with the background. HERE
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	export.png 
Views:	76 
Size:	2.9 KB 
ID:	127874  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Hi Paul:

Because most images with transparent background are saved on the internet with this chequered background. I think it's a Illy/photoshop thing.

Perhaps you can open the file in either of these programs but it's a bummer if you havent got them. Even opening them in Affinity Photo shows the checkered background. It would appear that by default images created in Illy/Photoshop export the checkers bt default.

I attach a Xara created transparent png with no checkers.

Here's an example of these images with the background. HERE
    Online these images appear with the background so that you can see that there is transparency - sorry Egg, nice theory but it's nothing to do with Illustrator or Photoshop.

I went to your here link and downloaded one of the images and I had exactly what it said a png with transparency and no background. If I copy the image directly from the page (browser save image as) I'll get the jpg version with a chequerboard, otherwise I press the correct download button (they make it hard to find it) and I get the png with transparency. The image with the checkerboard is not the image that is downloaded via the download mechanism.

My guess is that the OP copied/downloaded (save image as) from the page but didn't use the download button.

Name:	PinClipart.com_beer-mug-clip-art_966124 copy.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	52.2 KB 
ID:	127875
    Last edited by pauland; 15 September 2020 at 08:58 AM.

I am sure paul is right - what was downloaded was a display image on the site page containing the chequred squares to show where the transparency [alpha] is in the actual download file

this is the normal way of indicating transparency in most things computing, webpages, manuals, empty page/canvas background in a raster app such as photoshop... a question of not mistaking the representation for the download, as paul said
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Was that beer mug one of my tutorials?

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Was that beer mug one of my tutorials?
    The beer mug in my post was downloaded from Eggs clipart site link.