Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Designer Pro+ demo mode error

Just to mention I get this sequence when starting up.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	one.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	44.4 KB 
ID:	127858

Name:	two.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	67.7 KB 
ID:	127859

Name:	three.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	49.1 KB 
ID:	127860
    Jon (Jono) Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 19.0.0.64329 DL x64 May 19 2022

Default Re: Designer Pro+ demo mode error

did you purchase DPX+?, if not that may account some of the problem.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Jono, only the middle one is an error, the others are advisory.
    Have you therefore to create a Default Template as instructed?

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Pretty sure the point is it states you can't save, then tells you to save, then tells you you can't save again.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris M View Post
    Pretty sure the point is it states you can't save, then tells you to save, then tells you you can't save again.
    If so, it is probably a Run as administrator fix that is required.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Jono, only the middle one is an error, the others are advisory.
    Have you therefore to create a Default Template as instructed?

Acorn
    Hi Acorn, I’ll have tried making and saving a template and also opening my usual (default) template file and then attempted to save it as instructed.

The problem is that in demo mode, as stated in the first (advisory) message, you are not allowed to save anything. Therefore the requested action is not possible, as stated in the second advisory message (the third message).

I suppose I could try manually putting a copy of my usual default template file in the appropriate Xara Designer Pro+ template folder.

TBH I’m not that bothered about the error message myself seeing as it is just the demo version (not bought it, Larry). In fact when it first occurred I laughed. I only mention here (on the forum) as it could confuse/annoy a potential new user.

I mainly installed the demo to compare the difference (sharpness) of the user interface between my existing version (PGD v16) - and yes is it a big improvement.

It’s a shame Xara appear to be withholding this update from the regular desktop versions at the moment.

edit: I’ll try running as the administrator tomorrow. Thanks guys for input.

Running as Administrator does not fix this.

I think I've worked out why I get this error. It's because I had:

1. previously installed an earlier trial version of Designer Pro+,
    2. set up a default template during that trial period
    3. uninstalled the trial after it stopped working
    4. reinstalled this latest trial, but the trial went straight into demo mode because it detected I had previously installed a trial version

When I copied my default template file (which has a fairly distinctive file name) into the Designer Pro+ template folder it opened the template without the error. What I think needs to happen is, if a default template file can't be found it should open its own default file, or the code (registry setting?) that remembers about the previous installation be removed when uninstalling.

Name:	template folder.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	88.8 KB 
ID:	127867

Note: the file icons shown are Xara Photo & Graphic Designer as it's my default program for opening .xar files.

Jono, kind to update on this.

i couldn't help much as I have the full licence and have already added my default and other templates form earlier versions.

Acorn