Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: An alternative to using multiple pop-up layers

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Interesting approach Acorn. Currently I can't even see how the jQuery is loaded. I see it is but from where on your 'site'?
    Egg, there is a White blob off page in the index design that has the Name UsesJQuery.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Acorn, I saw that but I don't unerstand how it downloads the jQuery. Excuse my ignorance.

I follow this and can understand it but I don't see how your page does it?

https://www.w3schools.com/jquery/jquery_get_started.asp
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Acorn, I saw that but I don't unerstand how it downloads the jQuery. Excuse my ignorance.
    I follow this and can understand it but I don't see how your page does it?
    https://www.w3schools.com/jquery/jquery_get_started.asp
    Egg, I cannot cite the earliest reference but https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...366#post536366 is quite far back.

To force jQuery without using UsesJQuery, pick an innocuous object and give it a web animation of Fade/Instant on Reveal; this also installs jQuery.

I would imagine a developer invented UsesJQuery early on to aid development and it has remained there every since.

You may also find a Dear Xara Thread where I challenged xara to update its stale libraries as Xara still loads in /*! jQuery v1.11.1 | (c) 2005, 2014 jQuery Foundation, Inc. | jquery.org/license */ .

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

@ Egg & @Acorn,

Thank you for sharing the different approaches - which I understand.

@Egg /(@Acorn) - each js function calls a record from the js array. Could I use a parameter to create a generic function - e.g. record number in the array such myfunctionegg(n) - If so, how would be structured?

function myfunction1() {
    document.getElementById("line1").innerHTML = egg1[0];
    document.getElementById("line2").innerHTML = egg1[1];
    document.getElementById("line3").innerHTML = egg1[2];
    document.getElementById("line4").innerHTML = egg1[3];
    document.getElementById("line5").innerHTML = egg1[4];
    document.getElementById("line6").innerHTML = egg1[5];
    document.getElementById("image-url").innerHTML = egg1[6];
    document.getElementById("myImg").src = egg1[6];
    }
    Thanks,

Gary

Info Re: An alternative to using multiple pop-up layers

Quote Originally Posted by Initiostar View Post
    @ Egg & @Acorn,
    Thank you for sharing the different approaches - which I understand.
    @Egg /(@Acorn) - each js function calls a record from the js array. Could I use a parameter to create a generic function - e.g. record number in the array such myfunctionegg(n) - If so, how would be structured?
    Thanks,
    Gary
    Gary, that is where Egg and I disagreed over the approach as I wanted to parameterise it as you are suggesting.
    I developed the following so that all the student obits could be added into a Students Layer and you retain all the capabilities of Xara: Who Died Anyway - Question.xar.
    My two more recent offerings are improvements on this presentation, reducing the reliance on JavaScript, which takes more development and testing than most imagine.

For my first generic solution, I see no major editorial issue with separating the presentation page (the main site) from the 'data' by splitting the design into two as with correct image naming the upload effort is fairly trivial for updates and new data.
    For my latest Live Copy approach, you don't have to do even that. In the bookings page you can have 1,500 words @ 1px in a 100px square Text Area that is perfectly legible at 3200%. This, scaled to 640px square, is legible in a browser at 200%.

Overall, I consider both to be very flexible.

Acorn

@ Gary:
    Could I use a parameter to create a generic function
    My js coding is very limited so I can't help here. It would be good to achieve though. My js basically comes from using action script in Macromedia Flash which was js based.

@ Acorn
    To force jQuery without using UsesJQuery, pick an innocuous object and give it a web animation of Fade/Instant on Reveal; this also installs jQuery
    Thanks for the explanation. Now that's something I'm afraid I'd forget in a day, I've no brain to hold onto these gems unfortunately.

... that is where Egg and I disagreed over the approach ...
    I wouldn't say we disagreed. I'd asked you how I could create a link from a thumbnail rather then a js button which you very kindly supplied me with the solution, after which you suggested an alternative solution to the whole thing. I could see it worked very well but it overstretched my understanding of js. That's my limitation
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

I wouldn't say we disagreed. I'd asked you how I could create a link from a thumbnail rather then a js button which you very kindly supplied me with the solution, after which you suggested an alternative solution to the whole thing. I could see it worked very well but it overstretched my understanding of js. That's my limitation
    Egg, "disagreed" is simply 'had a different opinion'. It was not a criticism.

I tried to describe the JS approach to avoid growing the code by using two array variables instead of one. When considering it, i found that the XDA was equally capable of delivering a solution (or two) with little code.

If we hadn't conferred (better), we would have had no solutions at all.
    That is why I crave debate rather than just churning out unchallenged solutions.

Acorn

Hi Egg,

Sorry Ive not responded before today, but I didnt get a notification of further thread postings? Thanks for looking at my example, hope to sit down at a desktop....with sound to listen to your video later today.

I would love to try your xar file....no idea, how to implement it though, if you can point me in the direction how to integrate into Xara. Thanks again

Hi all eggs example is exactly what i need, can you supply the code or xar file and brief description of steps to implement
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stuk34 View Post
    Hi all eggs example is exactly what i need, can you supply the code or xar file and brief description of steps to implement
    Thanks
    Egg's already done all that for you in the previous Posts.

Acorn