Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default An alternative to using multiple pop-up layers

This is a follow on from a previous thread:

If anyone is interested I will share the xar and text files so you can use this method. Let me know

Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Default Re: An alternative to using multiple pop-up layers

Here's the link to the example I used:

LINK
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

I don't know what I would use it for egg, but I find it very interesting! I know there are lots of things like java script I wish I knew but it is so hard to teach old dogs like me new tricks, but will be looking for future videos on the subject if anyone else wants them. Thanks Egg!!!!

Here's a link to Truck's site:

LINK
    Egg

Hi Joe, Thanks. Was it you that was using mp3 files on one of your sites or is my brain addled even more?
    Egg

Sorry Egg, I have no mp3's on my site. I know yourself, Acorn, Gary and a few others are old pro's, me I just have one website and am a amateur who just enjoys what I can accomplish in my simple way with xara.

Two of my sites are predominantly mp3's. Is there something you want/need, or just being curious?

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    This is a follow on from a previous thread:

If anyone is interested I will share the xar and text files so you can use this method. Let me know

@Egg, I can see how this could be used to display any text data records - interesting approach. It means a user can edit the text file externally from the site.

Can you please share the javascript, how it is structured and what goes where. I think you can add a search function too.

Thanks,

Gary

That's very useful, Egg, when having to present a lot of different data, for instance on a map with lots of points of interest.

Would have been very useful for a site I did a few years ago showing a landscape and playground design with different types of greenery and installations. I had to use many layers and got confused a number of times.

Info Re: An alternative to using multiple pop-up layers

Sorry Egg, I have a disagreement over the approach and the code that we have discussed previously.

The Xara way to avoid lots of Layers is to shift the berthing or other data collection onto its own page and potentially have these or even each in its own Xara design file.

My simple demonstrator has:
    • The index page with an Embed a Website widget - this has a Name of marina and a src (source) to a Xara page by its filename and htm extension (marina.htm).
    • Normal berthing pages that can handle any Xara Objects. These are scaled to match the index's Placeholder.
    • The berth links on the index page are pure Page Links but with the Open in link (destination) of the Name 'marina' directly in the input box. This opens the page in the Placeholder.

That's it.

If you needed to only update the berth information I would publish berth001, etc as separate design files into the same folder (publishing as berth001.htm).

This way, all work is in the XDA with no code or hidden tables.

Xara - Marina.xar

Acorn
    Last edited by Acorn; 11 September 2020 at 11:35 AM.
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat