Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Melfort, Saskatchewan Canada
    Posts
    288

    Default Are file names the same on internet providers?

    Simple question. I知 using the naming function as much as I can. I知 hoping that the same name will be reflected by my internet provider. I知 not GoDaddy, I知 Blacksun.ca. It would sure make it easy to get rid of a lot of old pics to free up room.

    Thanks all,
    -Bill
    Bill Wood
    Expresiv Designs.
    Charity Web Design
    WD17, Designer 17. Premium packages.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    SW England
    Posts
    11,991

    Default Re: Are file names the same on internet providers?

    Quote Originally Posted by bwood View Post
    Simple question. I’m using the naming function as much as I can. I’m hoping that the same name will be reflected by my internet provider. I’m not GoDaddy, I’m Blacksun.ca. It would sure make it easy to get rid of a lot of old pics to free up room.
    Thanks all,
    -Bill
    Bill, your SP necessarily publishes the exact filename you provide it with.

    If you Export website to a local windows folder, you will see the filenames as added.

    A more rigorous check would be to open your published site at ../index.htm and replace the filename with ../index_htm_files/xr_files.txt.
    This will list the files you published. (e.g., http://acorn.xara.hosting/index_htm_files/xr_files.txt).


    Acorn
    Acorn - installed and active Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+, XDPX, XWD Premium 15 & 12, XPGD10, X3D7, Xara Xtreme 5, back through time (to CC's Artworks).
    Raise software faults with MagiXara: http://support.magix.net/; if Cloud+/Pro+: https://xara.com/contact-us/

  3. #3

    Default Re: Are file names the same on internet providers?

    Hello Bill,

    The same names are reflected on the remote site as are present when output onto a local disk. One important point is that remote names are case-sensitive due to Linux rules (as opposed to Windows). If you do not have capital letters in names, you are out of the woods in this respect.

    Quote Originally Posted by bwood View Post
    Simple question. I’m using the naming function as much as I can. I’m hoping that the same name will be reflected by my internet provider. I’m not GoDaddy, I’m Blacksun.ca. It would sure make it easy to get rid of a lot of old pics to free up room.

    Thanks all,
    -Bill

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Melfort, Saskatchewan Canada
    Posts
    288

    Default Re: Are file names the same on internet providers?

    Quote Originally Posted by lex View Post
    Hello Bill,

    The same names are reflected on the remote site as are present when output onto a local disk. One important point is that remote names are case-sensitive due to Linux rules (as opposed to Windows). If you do not have capital letters in names, you are out of the woods in this respect.
    Thanks @lex and @acorn. Thanks goodness. That makes my life easier.

    W
    Bill Wood
    Expresiv Designs.
    Charity Web Design
    WD17, Designer 17. Premium packages.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Harwich, Essex, England
    Posts
    19,907

    Default Re: Are file names the same on internet providers?

    It would sure make it easy to get rid of a lot of old pics to free up room.
    Don't follow this Bill. When Xara publishes your site it overwrites the previous index_htm_files folder such that only the current images are retained, the old ones are therefore removed.
    Egg

    Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Quadro 2000 Graphics Card + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive
    Xara Designer Pro X 17 + Xara 3D Maker 7

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Melfort, Saskatchewan Canada
    Posts
    288

    Default Re: Are file names the same on internet providers?

    Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Don't follow this Bill. When Xara publishes your site it overwrites the previous index_htm_files folder such that only the current images are retained, the old ones are therefore removed.
    Thanks @egg. I wasn’t sure about that. Does it over write the slide shows as well? Slide shows are taking up a bunch of space.
    Bill Wood
    Expresiv Designs.
    Charity Web Design
    WD17, Designer 17. Premium packages.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Harwich, Essex, England
    Posts
    19,907

    Default Re: Are file names the same on internet providers?

    Bill, I don't know. What slide show are you using?
    Egg

    Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Quadro 2000 Graphics Card + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive
    Xara Designer Pro X 17 + Xara 3D Maker 7

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Melfort, Saskatchewan Canada
    Posts
    288

    Default Re: Are file names the same on internet providers?

    Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Bill, I don't know. What slide show are you using?
    Sorry Egg. It’s terminology. I’m just using the slideshows readymade from the catalogue. Drag and drop images and save. If I delete an entire widget will that change with the SP. or perhaps it’s just an image by image change.
    Bill Wood
    Expresiv Designs.
    Charity Web Design
    WD17, Designer 17. Premium packages.

 

 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •