Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Paste Replacing Selection - image is removed from existing group

When an image within a group is replaced, the image is no longer in the group!

Example:
    Group some items, including an image. Then...
    - COPY another image to Clipboard
    - Control+Left-Click to select only the image within the group
    - Edit >> Paste >>> Paste replacing selection

This works OK, but the replaced image is not 'added back into' the group. The group status is ignored in this process and without warning.

I have only tried this on image replacement - it might be the same for other objects.

It seems to me that the grouping should be maintained (i.e. the original group should contain the replaced image and the other grouped objects)?

This is a relatively minor issue I suppose (but an easy one to fix I would have thought?!) but is indiciative of other group-related issues I've found - where the logic of how groups should be handled is lost on me.

Until now, I've contacted Magix diectly on various issues. Hopefully Xara will see this?

FYI: A complete reinstall of XWDP17 has just worked wonders on various GUI/Auto-Save/Slow-to-save issues. Effectively an IT "off and on", but at least I'm productive again...

TTFN. Thanks.

Default Re: Paste Replacing Selection - image is removed from existing group

Sheridan

Yes, it definitely works that way and is annoying.

However, the Xara method is to right-click > Open Group and perform the Paste there.
    On saving, the Group is intact.

When I forget, I go the the Page & Layer gallery and drag the errant Object back into the Group.

It fails for Soft-grouping in the same fashion.
    The only remedy then is to select all and reSoft-group.

Acorn

P.S. An image should ideally be soft-grouped anyhow as if it is Grouped with text or other objects , the output is a lossy JPEG @ 96dpi and you have lost crispness immediately.
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I thought I'd replied to you previously - but seems not? So, thanks for the help and tips!

The GUI has lots of querks, all of which makes it difficult to remember the get-arounds, esp if usage is infrequent.

Looks like you're a Pro+ user (or you're from Xara!?): how do you find that product (and how is the transition from WDP17?). I note the support is from Xara direct too - good experience?

Thanks. TTFN

Quote Originally Posted by Sheridan View Post
    I thought I'd replied to you previously - but seems not? So, thanks for the help and tips!

The GUI has lots of querks, all of which makes it difficult to remember the get-arounds, esp if usage is infrequent.

Looks like you're a Pro+ user (or you're from Xara!?): how do you find that product (and how is the transition from WDP17?). I note the support is from Xara direct too - good experience?

Thanks. TTFN
    Sheridan, I don't think anyone else, including Xara, could ever believe I work for Xara.

The switch to a proper subscription model has been a delight. Without the millstone of Magix, use is cleaner.
    Even if I stopped using Pro+, I still have my earlier products. The ongoing cost is almost identical but updates are frequent and you have the Xara Cloud+ inclusion.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat