Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What is the quickest way to 'radius' a corner (on a random/complex shape)?

Hello

What is the best way to apply a radius to a complex/corner on shape?

e.g. How can I best change this shape:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	delme01_random_shape.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	16.3 KB 
ID:	127776

into this one ?

Name:	delme01_random_shape2.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	18.8 KB 
ID:	127777

Note: I have faked this by eye... but I would like change a right-angled corner into a arc of a circle of a precisely defined size.

Thanks

J

Default Re: What is the quickest way to 'radius' a corner (on a random/complex shape)?

if the curvature is symmetric you can use a circle/elipse to produce this via the boolean functions, ie: combining/intersecting/adding/subtracting - you would need to do the maths, and use snapping

if it has to be precise I don't think node manipulation is going to hack it in xara

there may well be other ways known to experts, but I think I would be tempted to build the second one up from scratch rather than try to convert the first, using base shapes
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Default Re: What is the quickest way to 'radius' a corner (on a random/complex shape)?

I would make a rectangle or square with the corners rounded the way you want, then Add Shapes to the existing shape.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	add shapes.png 
Views:	52 
Size:	7.7 KB 
ID:	127778  

By far the simplest method :
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

circles it is then
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    By far the simplest method ...
    Hi Shiphen/Egg

I was also going recommend using Affinity Designer’s corner tool for quickness!

Something that might not be obvious from Egg’s video, is that you can specify a precise numerical value for each corner radius for consistency.

Name:	corner-tool.png 
Views:	71 
Size:	31.3 KB 
ID:	127779

Egg that’s a good tip using the PDF format for exporting/importing and the 'out/in' naming convention for the file names.
    Jon (Jono) Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 19.0.0.64329 DL x64 May 19 2022

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    I would make a rectangle or square with the corners rounded the way you want, then Add Shapes to the existing shape.
    Gary - How did you slice off just the right amount of the corner?

i.e. Did you have to create a second copy of the square and move it into place - presumably by eye?? - and then slice it using Control/4 and then remove the unwanted corner... before adding the green shape...??
    It just seems lik a lot of steps!

Quote Originally Posted by Jonopen View Post
    Hi Shiphen/Egg

I was also going recommend using Affinity Designer’s corner tool for quickness!

Something that might not be obvious from Egg’s video, is that you can specify a precise numerical value for each corner radius for consistency.

Name:	corner-tool.png 
Views:	71 
Size:	31.3 KB 
ID:	127779

Egg that’s a good tip using the PDF format for exporting/importing and the 'out/in' naming convention for the file names.

Yes Affinity Designer is doing a much better job of it! And yes, I would need to have the corners be a precise radius.

But I was trying to NOT have to use any other applications - as that makes for quite a lot of additional steps ==> rather fiddly.

I have tried Inkscape before but I rather hated it.
    Affinity Designer looks promising and it's at a much more sensible price than Xara... but it's extra money (£50) and not doubt one would have to pay for updates etc etc.

So for now I am resisting Affinity Designer, but out of interest if you have both, Affinity & Xara, how do they compare? When do you use each one?

J

you will not need to pay for updates to affintiy, until such time as it reaches version 2

it has been on version 1 since launch and is now at 1.8.5, even those of us who were in at the beginning have only paid once so far...
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    you will not need to pay for updates to affintiy, until such time as it reaches version 2

it has been on version 1 since launch and is now at 1.8.5, even those of us who were in at the beginning have only paid once so far...
    How does it compare with Xara?
    When do you use each?