Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default What is the quickest way to 'radius' a corner (on a random/complex shape)?

Hello

What is the best way to apply a radius to a complex/corner on shape?

e.g. How can I best change this shape:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	delme01_random_shape.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	16.3 KB 
ID:	127776

into this one ?

Name:	delme01_random_shape2.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	18.8 KB 
ID:	127777

Note: I have faked this by eye... but I would like change a right-angled corner into a arc of a circle of a precisely defined size.

Thanks

J

Default Re: What is the quickest way to 'radius' a corner (on a random/complex shape)?

if the curvature is symmetric you can use a circle/elipse to produce this via the boolean functions, ie: combining/intersecting/adding/subtracting - you would need to do the maths, and use snapping

if it has to be precise I don't think node manipulation is going to hack it in xara

there may well be other ways known to experts, but I think I would be tempted to build the second one up from scratch rather than try to convert the first, using base shapes
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Default Re: What is the quickest way to 'radius' a corner (on a random/complex shape)?

I would make a rectangle or square with the corners rounded the way you want, then Add Shapes to the existing shape.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	add shapes.png 
Views:	54 
Size:	7.7 KB 
ID:	127778  

By far the simplest method :
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

circles it is then
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    By far the simplest method ...
    Hi Shiphen/Egg

I was also going recommend using Affinity Designer’s corner tool for quickness!

Something that might not be obvious from Egg’s video, is that you can specify a precise numerical value for each corner radius for consistency.

Name:	corner-tool.png 
Views:	74 
Size:	31.3 KB 
ID:	127779

Egg that’s a good tip using the PDF format for exporting/importing and the 'out/in' naming convention for the file names.
    Jon (Jono) Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 19.0.0.64329 DL x64 May 19 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Jonopen View Post
    Hi Shiphen/Egg

I was also going recommend using Affinity Designer’s corner tool for quickness!

Something that might not be obvious from Egg’s video, is that you can specify a precise numerical value for each corner radius for consistency.

Name:	corner-tool.png 
Views:	74 
Size:	31.3 KB 
ID:	127779

Egg that’s a good tip using the PDF format for exporting/importing and the 'out/in' naming convention for the file names.

Yes Affinity Designer is doing a much better job of it! And yes, I would need to have the corners be a precise radius.

But I was trying to NOT have to use any other applications - as that makes for quite a lot of additional steps ==> rather fiddly.

I have tried Inkscape before but I rather hated it.
    Affinity Designer looks promising and it's at a much more sensible price than Xara... but it's extra money (£50) and not doubt one would have to pay for updates etc etc.

So for now I am resisting Affinity Designer, but out of interest if you have both, Affinity & Xara, how do they compare? When do you use each one?

J

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    I would make a rectangle or square with the corners rounded the way you want, then Add Shapes to the existing shape.
    Gary - How did you slice off just the right amount of the corner?

i.e. Did you have to create a second copy of the square and move it into place - presumably by eye?? - and then slice it using Control/4 and then remove the unwanted corner... before adding the green shape...??
    It just seems lik a lot of steps!