Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Pop up text on mouse over

I have a Dinghy Boat park with approx 150 craft I need to have a pop up box to display the "Berth Number", "The owner" and "The Craft" allocated to that berth. The pop up text animation, displays this but I would like to show the result of the "Mouse over effect" in more detail, eventually adding more data to the mouse over effect.

I have currently created 150 layers numbered per berth and triggered each layer to display when mouse over the relevant berth number, is there a better or more efficient method I could use?

The current trial version can be found here:
    https://www.thornton-steward-sailing...t%20berths.htm

Any help appreciated.
    Thanks

Default Re: Pop up text on mouse over

Hi Stuk. Here's how I'd go about it. Just one pop-up layer and some JS but it's worth the effort as once set up you'll not need to re-open the xar file and re-publish. Just amend a text file and upload it. Too late here, I'll try & get back this evening.

LINK
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by stuk34 View Post
    I have a Dinghy Boat park with approx 150 craft I need to have a pop up box to display the "Berth Number", "The owner" and "The Craft" allocated to that berth. The pop up text animation, displays this but I would like to show the result of the "Mouse over effect" in more detail, eventually adding more data to the mouse over effect.

I have currently created 150 layers numbered per berth and triggered each layer to display when mouse over the relevant berth number, is there a better or more efficient method I could use?

The current trial version can be found here:
    https://www.thornton-steward-sailing...t%20berths.htm

Any help appreciated.
    Thanks
    @Stuk

Were you to be planning a mobile/touch variant, then a Hover/MouseOver effect is redundant - I think I would stay with the link approach you have used to-date.

As alternatives to your 150 layers, you could follow Egg's advice which would make editing much easier. Also, you could look at a directory style approach (or even a table) where each link on a location map will cause the berth details to scroll into view (using a header/anchor).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Directory using Headers.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	23.0 KB 
ID:	127774

When you select a locator its corresponding detail will scroll up just below the location map. With a mobile variant, you might need to create a different style map.

Another way of looking at this maybe?

Gary

Footnote: there are probably some neat ways to code this lot too.
    Last edited by Initiostar; 02 September 2020 at 11:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Hi Stuk. Here's how I'd go about it. Just one pop-up layer and some JS but it's worth the effort as once set up you'll not need to re-open the xar file and re-publish. Just amend a text file and upload it. Too late here, I'll try & get back this evening.

LINK
    Hi Egg

Thanks so much, absolutely brilliant, your example is exactly what I'm looking for, however never done JS though so hope you can explain how to go about this.

Hi Initiostar

thanks for your suggestions, I like Eggs worked example, but will also look at your alternative too....Thanks for taking the time

Hi Egg,

Hope you can explain the process for recreating your example, I have no knowledge of Javascript or how to implement it, any help much appreciated.
    Thanks again
    Mike

Hi Mike,
    I'm working on it. Trying to create a 'javascript for idiots workaround' Having issues, bear with me
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host