Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Problems Embedding YouTube Video

I am having trouble embedding a video into a web page, using the latest version of Designer Pro. I create a placeholder object and paste the embed code from YouTube into the Web Properties. When I preview the page, the video is hanging off to one side with the right half of it cut off. When I press play I get a generic error from YouTube and the video does not play. I have tried several different videos and I also tried matching the placeholder size to the size specified in the embed code but nothing helps. Same problem in IE and the latest Edge Beta.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be? I haven't overhauled our site in about 5 years and everything works on the old site.
    Asus Zenbook Duo, 12th Gen Core i7, 16Gb RAM, Windows 11 (fully updated). bandcamp.novakill.com

Default Re: Problems Embedding YouTube Video

Bones - It's been a while.

I am not sure but one of the members with a better brain than I have will get back soon.

Here's a link to a search I just did. Maybe something here will help. https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffsb&q=emb...ics.com&ia=web

Bones,

Check your embedded code on YouTube (via the Share button). It should look something like this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Embed YouTube.PNG 
Views:	76 
Size:	42.8 KB 
ID:	127762

The placeholder should be the same size as the W & H in the code (the default is 560 x 316 ). You can proportionally resize both the W&H in the placeholder and widget, or reset the widget to be 100% /100%. With the latter, you can proportionally resize the placeholder and the video auto-fills correctly.

I'm on Pro v17.

Gary

I know I am doing everything properly, it's just not working as it should. By using "Paste as Placeholder" I have managed to at least get the video centred in the frame and it will play but it's still cropped on each side. It's a bit weird because even though the frame size in the embed code is 1280x720, the placeholder it created was much narrower than that and I had to manually resize it. It feels like it's interpreting the value and re-calculating the width, like it expects non-square pixels or something.

Eureka! I just worked out what the problem is - the width of the page is less than 1280 and it is cropping it to the page width. I just had to adjust the page width and it's all good now. I did have to use a strange template but it works and that's all I care about.

Thanks for your help and the quick responses. It's nice to know this place is still going. I should contribute more myself but, to be honest, I hardly use Xara any more and I no longer look forward to updates/upgrades so it's hard to find the time. I actually had to watch some tutorial videos to remember how to do the web page stuff, it's been so long.
    Asus Zenbook Duo, 12th Gen Core i7, 16Gb RAM, Windows 11 (fully updated). bandcamp.novakill.com

Quote Originally Posted by BONES View Post
    ..I hardly use Xara any more and I no longer look forward to updates/upgrades...
    In a way thats a pity as you were such a staunch advocate for it's benefits, especially the non-destructive editing as I recall..

But hey I know the feeling, I really only use it now for creating PDF vector asset for Harmony, never did websites....

Hope all is going well for you
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

@bones. Had the same problem. Asked the same question. Link. https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...ders-for-video

-Bill
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design
    XARA Pro+. WD17, Designer 17. Premium packages.