Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Complimentary colours to bright Lime Green

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Bill - I think you have already solved the problem. Using grayed down and less saturated versions of the green works well.

You're dealing with an animal shelter not a fashion line. The colors should be soft and friendly. Maybe some tweaking but in my opinion as the ancient author of Looking Good in Color, (1995! https://www.amazon.com/Looking-Good-...s=books&sr=1-1) I like how you have handled this color.
    Thanks Gary. Very useful.
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design
    XARA Pro+. WD17, Designer 17. Premium packages.

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    I don't have gary's er, pedigree, when it comes to graphic design, but there is sense in what he says, not a lot can be done with such an in your face colour

I would be more concerned with the hotch-potch of colour and shape that is the content of the page and that fails to draw the eye anywhere... but I guess you are stuck with that
    True handrawn. It’s tee shirt color for sure. And yes I am stuck with some unchangeable content on the front page. Unfortunately the shelters don’t have gobs of money.
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design

As others have said that green is quite a vibrant and a little will go along way! I’m not an expert, but I would think a complementary purply colour and greys might look quite good. (see below).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D15F6D66-5EAE-4705-BF56-170C7838D6A1.png 
Views:	82 
Size:	159.0 KB 
ID:	127735

Something you could try is using the ‘pallet from photo’ tool. For example, I made a green bitmap out of a shape (a circle) to make a pallet of colours. (see below).

Name:	colour-from-photo.png 
Views:	80 
Size:	58.3 KB 
ID:	127734

Xara also has an online version:
    https://www.xara.com/tools/color-palette-generator/
    Jon (Jono) Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 19.0.0.64329 DL x64 May 19 2022

@jonopen. Excellent. I just have to tone down the whole thing down. I’d like much of the design in the newsletter to match the style of the website.
    One huge challenge is have is the “posters” they use on social media that they want to use on the website. I’m trying to convince them I’d like to transcribe the poster material into a column of text with a nice symbol.
    So I’ve got some selling to do. My first page and the activity pages are just hot messes! Northeastspca.org
    -Bill
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design

Here is a good understanding of the standard color wheel from an artist. He has a simple addition to the understanding of that color wheel which can help all graphic designers and painters. Maybe this will help. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_GY3Jz12rE

A complimentary color, according to this color wheel, that is subdued or not vibrating bright, can help highlight the subject color.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonopen View Post
    As others have said that green is quite a vibrant and a little will go along way! I’m not an expert, but I would think a complementary purply colour and greys might look quite good. (see below).

Name:	D15F6D66-5EAE-4705-BF56-170C7838D6A1.png 
Views:	82 
Size:	159.0 KB 
ID:	127735

Something you could try is using the ‘pallet from photo’ tool. For example, I made a green bitmap out of a shape (a circle) to make a pallet of colours. (see below).

Name:	colour-from-photo.png 
Views:	80 
Size:	58.3 KB 
ID:	127734

Xara also has an online version:
    https://www.xara.com/tools/color-palette-generator/
    @jonopen. Many Thanks. I’ve also found that rusty orange is a complimentary color to the lime green. I’m using it successfully in a new ,enter and website.
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design