Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Default Re: Hard drive or CPU

I checked out what they recommend for toon boom harmony work - HP Z2 Tower G4 Workstation - around 1600 USD - nice spec, price ok

possibly overkill for website building....
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Thanks Lex. Will get the SSD and see how it goes and later a new laptop.

Xara staff, someone? How much of the Hard drive is used for processing the output for the website? IF ANY? Considering all the graphics are already loaded into the file/memory.

I would like to see someone from Xara confirm this, really would be helpful, do not want to waste money buying an SSD drive just to know that it is not dependent on it.

Yes I am okay with the file loading from my current drive to xara when I open it and fine with the loading time, what I am concerned with is the actual time that xara is processing and outputing to the server (is that using the drive)???

Quote Originally Posted by behzad View Post
    Xara staff, someone? How much of the Hard drive is used for processing the output for the website? IF ANY? Considering all the graphics are already loaded into the file/memory.

I would like to see someone from Xara confirm this, really would be helpful, do not want to waste money buying an SSD drive just to know that it is not dependent on it.

Yes I am okay with the file loading from my current drive to xara when I open it and fine with the loading time, what I am concerned with is the actual time that xara is processing and outputing to the server (is that using the drive)???
    am not Xara but I suggested that if the export takes more RAM than you have then Windows buffers things into the HD and swaps back and forth. This is your bottleneck. More RAM and a SSD will work great. I know you are maxed out on RAM so you can only get a new machine or swap in an SSD.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

it does not work llike that bezad - the computer uses memory... when there is not enough memory it uses the drive as virtual memory [edit - as acorn just said re swaping]

how much is used depends on the sisze/complexity of your website, and whatever else your computer is doing including background apps such as antivirus and windows housekeeping
    Nothing lasts forever...

I do understand, but this is the test with Ram, before anything loaded, when xara loaded with file and finally when it is processing.
    As you can see I am still left with 4G of RAM.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/14vJxNjFSBa2MDK25WECSifmChTxwFbO7/view?usp=sharing

I have no idea why this thread continues to beat on.

I have no idea what that remark contributes to the debate
    Nothing lasts forever...

I just want to hear it from horses mouth (Xara) I am a bit knowledgable in tech stuff and still not convinced that my current system is lacking RAM or is even accessing the hard drive when it is processing the file. I do agree that it can be the slow CPU but even the CPU is not maxed out. All the stats I have included in my posts indicate that something else is the culprit.

If you want me to stop, I will.

@behzad

not familiar with the utility you are using there, but it looks like a difference of about 1 GB both between the physical [RAM] and the virtual [DISK] memory - and this is a snapshot right, snapshots are not trends

what windows calls available RAM is RAM that is not being used; sometimes that is because windows does not release it, sometimes it is because the program cannot make use of it

imemory usage of 35% with nothing loaded, all apps/programs closed, is too high I would have thought - something is running in the background and eating up resource maybe

you are running 64bit windows 10 ?
    Nothing lasts forever...