Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Default Re: Hard drive or CPU

Yes Running 64bit with windows. Will paste processes from task manager on here in a bit.

Here is a snapshot of it processing the file.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_1.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	53.1 KB 
ID:	127755  

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    I have no idea what that remark contributes to the debate
    I have no idea what any post is contributing right now!

I am tired too. Good night from Canada.

and good monring from the county of york...

behzad - I think what paul is trying to say in his own gentle way is that the thread is going round in circles

take your last snapshot of the task manager - what does that tell you ? not a lot - it is like saying a company made $500M in the last financial quarter, what does that say about the health of the business in terms of sales or cash in the bank or aything much... not a lot

in order to make sense of any of these figures you need to go down the tree and examine each and every process over the complete cycle

this is a job for

a] someone who really knows what they are doing
    b] who has hands-on access to your computer

and

c] for the current issue of whether it will make xara run faster it probably 'aint worth doing this, life is short and computer techs charge by the hour

all that we [who are not xara programmers] can really say is that SSD, either upgrade or new computer, will result in the computer as a whole running faster

this has already been said

back to paul....
    Last edited by handrawn; 31 August 2020 at 10:22 AM. Reason: probgrammers - theres a concept to conjure with
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by behzad View Post
    Xara staff
    P.S. I doubt xara will enter into such a discussion here [but I could be wrong] partly because the situation I just outlined - but you could try contacting them directly...
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    and good monring from the county of york...

behzad - I think what paul is trying to say in his own gentle way is that the thread is going round in circles
    Absolutely.

back to paul....
    The economy answer to the original post was made in post #3 and has been repeated several times.

Whether Xara does or does not support Multitasking well doesn't matter because it's something we have no control over or ability to change.
    The CPU of Behzad's machine is not fantastic, but ANY machine will speed up when data is read and written from an electronic circuit versus spinning glass or metal discs.
    Buying a machine with a faster CPU but no SSD won't necessarily be faster than a slow CPU and an SSD.

Games machines require high-spec graphics cards with processing power of their own and this adds significantly to their cost. Xara software does not utilise that processing ability so buying a games machine for Xara alone is not an efficient use of funds. If I were to rank performance features for another Xara machine it would probably have this order of importance: SSD, CPU, Memory.

I suspect that what is driving this thread is a reluctance to fit an SSD into an older machine, which ironically provides the most startling performance increase for little money.

My daughter sold her old laptop a few days ago for about US$150. It had a 14" screen, I3 processor, 8GB RAM and an SSD. It would have run Xara a lot faster than the HP I think.

I haven't used a computer (as my main machine) that doesn't have an SSD for many years. Once you have used a machine with an SSD there's no going back.

Thank you guys. I have now concluded to end this discussion. I do appreciate your comments and I highly value them as well. Have a good day.

I suppose I am partly to blame for the rabbit

behzad, the honest answer to your secondary question:

So your saying the SSD will for sure speed things up? What percentage am I looking at?
    is:

'how long is a piece of string?' - it will be a more suitable length is all....

in a theoretically ideal world we would have a seperate computer for each program and each of these computers would be chosen and tuned to suit the progam in question; and, except where prohibited on the grounds of cost or technical considerations [life expectancy under a given storage environment, TB's of archive/server storage for example] they would all have SSD; they would of course be networked

in the real world we mostly compromise with one computer or 'device set'; maybe if we have the need a second for running something very specific such as DAW or personal server

EDIT - we cross posted - have a nice day too
    Nothing lasts forever...

Nice.