Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Font Gallery: What is the point of XDP providing same fonts in TrueType/PostScript?

Hi,

I'd appreciate your help.
    In XDP v17 Fonts Gallery, there are available two sets of the same fonts: TrueType and PostScript (image below).
    a) I read somewhere that PostScript is a legacy format, so what is the point of XDP providing the PostScript fonts? Why not just deliver the TrueType set?
    b) Assuming that having the TrueType set I will not have the need to use the same PostScript fonts, I intend to delete the latter to clean up the Gallery. Is that OK? Or would I miss something later not having PostScript fonts there?

Thank you,
    Carlos

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xara_Fonts Gallery.png 
Views:	67 
Size:	24.0 KB 
ID:	127717

Default Re: Font Gallery: What is the point of XDP providing same fonts in TrueType/PostScrip

Likely they are OpenType fonts, which are Postscript types.

TT have one type of curves internally (quadratic B-splines).
    OTF fonts have a different curve format (bezier curve).

Both Type 1 postscript and OTF postscript types of fonts have the same type of curves. It is Type 1 postscript fonts that are the old kind that in general one doesn't want to use in this day & age.

Here's a decent link to how the various icons for each type of font should appear in a menu...

https://www.cr8software.net/article004.html

Default Re: Font Gallery: What is the point of XDP providing same fonts in TrueType/PostScrip

Thanks for the reply @mwenz!
    Actually, I just realized the very same fonts are being delivered as TrueType and PostScript (Type 1) by XDP because from the MainType font manager I ran a "select duplicates" command and it found that.
    I've attached the image with the results of MainType "select duplicates", being the selected fonts (for getting rid of) the PostScript ones, since MainType considers it a legacy format against the TrueType fonts (unselected in the image).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MainType_2020-08-26_15.14.06.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	35.8 KB 
ID:	127718

Duplicates, if both are active, are bad.

In any case, from what I remember of MainType, it doesn't/didn't differentiate between Postscript Type 1 and OpenType on that screen. But it's been several versions of MT back when I last used MT.

But, hey, I have no idea what Xara applications are actually offering you. Maybe submit a support request.