Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wasp

Default Re: Wasp

whilst I appreciate that a nest inside/too close to a human habitation has to be dealt with, the assertion:

"the upshot is they put themselves in our way, rather than the other way around"

is looking at it from the point of view that wasps should be subservient to the wishes of humanity, aka they are less important... again, nature may not agree...

the way things are going it might be interesting to speculate which species will outlast the other - one thing is for sure wasps, together with moths and many other insects, underpin a lot of what we take for granted in the way of pollination and pest control for example

live and let live
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    live and let live
    I do if they do ..and no doubt more survive my proximity than don't. Not knowing the mind of a wasp, I can't say for sure but I rather suspect they sting the other species that has got in its way (us) not with the intent of causing some days of discomfort but with the intent of killing it. I wish they had a 'live and let live' attitude. I still think they are a threat.

Wasps are, in my opinion the Bastard Kings of the animal world....Bees I can tolerate, but wasps and hornets deserve the rolled-up newspaper treatment...'shoot and ask questions later', is my motto.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

@bob [iatb] some parts of the world hornets in particular can be 'agressive' [although again that is to attribute to the insect the homo-sap way of looking at things, which is wrong...] - not here though, not sure about sunny spain

@mart it's an instinctive reaction to a percieved threat without any thought for anyone else.... humm bet you know some people like that, know I do....
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

An instinctive reaction will occur in all species to avert anything or anyone that poses an immediate threat. Wasp versus human is an example. We see each other at threats if the circumstances are there. I try to make it me that wins but the wasp has come out ahead on some occasions.

Since a detailed photo of a dead wasp isn't good in everyone's eyes, here are some photos taken in our garden of bees that were alive and well at the time. We had a bees nest at the bottom of the garden a few years ago. They would just go about their business in good numbers taking no notice of me at all.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bee-1.jpg 
Views:	351 
Size:	241.8 KB 
ID:	127713Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bee-2.jpg 
Views:	311 
Size:	248.0 KB 
ID:	127714Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bee-3.jpg 
Views:	287 
Size:	222.8 KB 
ID:	127715Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bee-4.jpg 
Views:	313 
Size:	71.6 KB 
ID:	127716

Mart,

I really like the second photo of the bee flying in front of the flower. Very nice shot.

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by RKissane View Post
    Mart,

I really like the second photo of the bee flying in front of the flower. Very nice shot.

Ray
    Thanks Ray. I quite often take the camera out in the garden and sit quietly. With that Trumpet Vine flower being close and the insects buzzing around, I thought. I might be lucky enough to get a photo like that. It is only an automatic compact camera but I had it on a manual setting using a fast shutter speed. The light was good and the camera coped OK.