Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: How many people use Xara for web development?

Quote Originally Posted by sorengen View Post
    Not sure why it is relevant to them, I did not ask. But sometimes the concern with the Xara platform is unfamiliarity (fear of the unknown), how much support will there be if they need help with their site in the future (because they want to manage the site themselves once it is completed) - so they will have to learn how to use the software as it is very different from WP. Using Xara is a different way of thinking if you have been managing WP sites. Albeit, Xara is MUCH easier IMO, but still different and presents a learning curve.
    I deliberately avoid customers that wish to manage the site themselves.

I don't feel it's worth the hassle.

I deliberately avoid customers that wish to manage the site themselves.
    I couldn't agree more Paul. I wouldn't like to say how many of my clients in the past have requested editing facilities and never used them (CMS sites) or if they have they come back 12-18 months later asking you how to do so as they've forgotten but don't want to pay for this new request.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

I also do not accept any clients that want to manage their own site. Too many problems and usually they are penny pinchers.

it might be that the client[s] emphasis is more about who to go to if you become unavailable, what sort of 'pool' is there, rather than doing it themselves necessarily

that would be a major concern of mine...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

A possible concern a client could have is if they need to have another designer or design firm work on or take over the site.

For example if they fire their current designer or if the current designer quits.

indeed...
    Nothing lasts forever...

Then the world would be dominated by WordPress ...... which it probably is already!
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

It really depends how big this website is.

Re-creating an existing website using any technology of choice is fairly easy for small websites. The real work in website development is in the initial designs not follow up amendments.

[ Digression - I have spent a few days now working on an IOS app. I have little to show for it because the problem is with designing it in the first place. It will spring into existence when I feel confident about design issues ].

I suspect that most clients wanted to manage their websites do so for cost reasons.

I only produce small websites and I charge nominal amounts for small changes.

Once websites get to be sizeable (whatever that is) it's another matter entirely. I think the management of large websites is more suitable for CMS based systems than static website tools.

a basic WP site, using only themes/plugins and no CSS modification tweaks is easy - I know because even I can do it, no more difficult than getting into the tools of an animation program like harmony, in fact easier depending on how well versed you are in animation principles

but if CSS is involved, I'd leave it up to you guys; it may be easier than I think, but most things are when you know how....
    Nothing lasts forever...

Excellent points! Clients who need 'small' websites and are happy for me to manage them are absolutely ideal! I also offer low cost management fees or, or I offer a tutorial 'class' for basic training. You are correct, handrawn, putting together and editing a WP site on a basic level is not hard to do. I, too, have done this ... and have clients that hired me to manage their WP websites... but it is very different from Xara's program. And if you've only ever worked with CMS sites, then it seems hard for people to wrap their brains around a different way of thinking.

Thanks, Everyone, for the great feedback! Still not sure how many people use Web Designer (all versions) as their design software, but I've enjoyed the side conversation!