Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Recreating faux 3D objects

Hi,

I'm recreating an old design as part of logo. (Attached.) It is made up of 3 simple "3d" objects. The first object is a simple rectangle. I started by creating the rectangle, skewing it, then duplicating. I then used the create shape tool to create the "end cap". The problem is combing or joining these separate shapes results in the screen shot below - jagged edges that don't line up. Any advice or a better way to do this? The old graphic is a low quality jpeg so my goal is to create a new vector file suitable for all future uses.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture3.PNG 
Views:	76 
Size:	11.8 KB 
ID:	127677
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Old Graphic Logo.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	48.7 KB 
ID:	127678  

Default Re: Recreating faux 3D objects

Have you tried extruding with and otherwise using the 3D tool?
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Quote Originally Posted by wizard509 View Post
    Have you tried extruding with and otherwise using the 3D tool?
    Yes, briefly on the simple rectangle. I can get a rectangle that seems correct, but has the appearance of a 3D "rendered" object - not the basic stick only style of the original logo.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture4.PNG 
Views:	65 
Size:	10.1 KB 
ID:	127679

I've created one section for the attached file.

The main issue pertains to what is called "miter limits," which even if Xara applications could adjust them, I'm not fully certain if that would help.

So one has to alter how some of the elements at the back are joined.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    I've created one section for the attached file.

The main issue pertains to what is called "miter limits," which even if Xara applications could adjust them, I'm not fully certain if that would help.

So one has to alter how some of the elements at the back are joined.
    Thank you and thank you for the term "miter limits" as you are right, That is what I am battling so nice to have a term for it.

I deconstructed what you did and it matches what I was doing. Only difference is you did it much better than me, haha. Thank you! I think I can use this to finish the other 2.

Following on from Mikes (mwezn) it often helps in Xara to change the Join Type in the Line Gallery to Round Join. This smooths the irregularities if you've used Mitre Joins .

Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 20 August 2020 at 10:48 PM.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Egg, I don't think there's one of your videos where I didn't pick up something worth knowing.

There are quite a few I look up to on TG, and you sir, are definitely one of them.

Chris you've made me blush! But thanks for your kind comment ~ Egg
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host