Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Rounding line intersections

Hi peoples

I have an image made from lines, its a hexagon. I want to round the corners. Is there a way to use the rounded corner function on a line-line intersection?

Thanks

Tim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	line corners.PNG 
Views:	85 
Size:	4.9 KB 
ID:	127628  

Default Re: Rounding line intersections

Quote Originally Posted by TimBox View Post
    Hi peoples

I have an image made from lines, its a hexagon. I want to round the corners. Is there a way to use the rounded corner function on a line-line intersection?

Thanks

Tim
    Different approach maybe: select the hexagon smart shape, adjust the corner rounding to suit, use the contour tool to give you an outline and set contour colour of choice; clone the shape and proportionally reduce it to give you the second hexagon.

Place a rectangle over the portion of the two hexagons you want to remove and subtract shapes. You have a bit more control over the rounding this way.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hexagon.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	22.7 KB 
ID:	127629

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Initiostar View Post
    Different approach maybe: select the hexagon smart shape, adjust the corner rounding to suit, use the contour tool to give you an outline and set contour colour of choice; clone the shape and proportionally reduce it to give you the second hexagon.

Place a rectangle over the portion of the two hexagons you want to remove and subtract shapes. You have a bit more control over the rounding this way.

Name:	Hexagon.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	22.7 KB 
ID:	127629

Gary
    Thanks

Yup I know that method but it is not a solution to my issues. So basically impossible with Xara right?

Tim

Tim, lines have (Mitre, Round, Bevel) Joins with (Butt, Round, square) caps.
    The curvature is tied to the Line width.

If not enough, switch to the Shape Tool and add two new control points either side of the current sharp one, which you delete. Select both of the new points and set to Smooth Curve and adjust.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Yup I know that method but it is not a solution to my issues. So basically impossible with Xara right?
    Hi Tim, Garys (Initiostar) solution seems perfect to me as does Acorns. Perhaps you could expand more on your requirements?
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Hi Tim, Garys (Initiostar) solution seems perfect to me as does Acorns. Perhaps you could expand more on your requirements?
    Attached is a PNG of the image I was working on, it was given to me to see if I could adjust it.

I can make the outer graphics rounded using the method you said. However cutting through the block produces straight lines not rounded ends. Also I cannot round the edges in the letters.

I had to say I did not have the tools necessary to do the job. They went back to originator and got them to do it. Second picture

Thanks
    Tim

Name:	SQS logo.png 
Views:	78 
Size:	16.1 KB 
ID:	127647

Name:	SQS logo 2.png 
Views:	81 
Size:	7.0 KB 
ID:	127646
    Attached Files Attached Files

Sometimes it is worth having more than one application. I don't have Inkscape installed on this computer right now, but I believe it can do round joins via a corner tool.

Affinity Designer has a corner tool.

Name:	Capture_000691.png 
Views:	66 
Size:	20.6 KB 
ID:	127648

One can select all nodes, set a radius, then do just selected nodes.

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Tim, lines have (Mitre, Round, Bevel) Joins with (Butt, Round, square) caps.
    The curvature is tied to the Line width.

If not enough, switch to the Shape Tool and add two new control points either side of the current sharp one, which you delete. Select both of the new points and set to Smooth Curve and adjust.

Acorn
    Hi, I really should read the post better. I understand now what you meant

Sorry about that.

Tim

Here's how I'd go about it Tim. A bit long but I hope it helps.

Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by TimBox View Post
    Attached is a PNG of the image I was working on, it was given to me to see if I could adjust it.

I can make the outer graphics rounded using the method you said. However cutting through the block produces straight lines not rounded ends. Also I cannot round the edges in the letters.

I had to say I did not have the tools necessary to do the job. They went back to originator and got them to do it. Second picture

Thanks
    Tim

Name:	SQS logo.png 
Views:	78 
Size:	16.1 KB 
ID:	127647

Name:	SQS logo 2.png 
Views:	81 
Size:	7.0 KB 
ID:	127646
    FWIW Tim, it can be done through a sequence of adding and subtracting shapes using the hexagon smart shape (with rounded corners) as a base shape. Did not bother about the complete logo, but here is a base hex outline and character.

Name:	Hexagon_2.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	43.6 KB 
ID:	127649

The rounded ends to the hex outline are simply round-ended lines the same width as the hex contour. The character starts with one hex subtracted from a slightly larger one, centre removed, replaced with a rounded rectangle and two additional reverse quadrant curves.

It was bit like an old-fashioned technical drawing exercise! No doubt there are others ways to do it too.

Gary