Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default 2020 Screen Resolution - desktop vs tablet vs phone

Greetings,

Wondering for those designing for both Desktop and Mobile devices, how many are building for two platforms, and how many for three ?
    ...meaning, designing for a desktop monitor and for smaller mobile, or designing for desktop, tablet, and mobile ?

And what resolutions you are using for your two, or three, page designs ?

I searched the forum, did not find much in recent years except one post, but found several from over 5-7 years ago, so thus thought maybe just ask.

thanks in advance,
    Frolin

Default Re: 2020 Screen Resolution - desktop vs tablet vs phone

Since Xara introduced the 'Scale to fit Width' option (v16 or 17?) I'm finding that the default 960px scale to width 1280px coupled with a single variant of 480px is more than sufficient.

I have pondered over making the 960 a bit bigger, say 1100 as the stretch to 1280 looks fine in FireFox and Opera, but may be a tad large in the new Edge. Having said that, I have 3 sites on 960 and nobody has mentioned it. Sleeping dogs and all that.

Makes for some interesting reading...I find it hard to believe that in 2020 most pf the cell phones out there have a 360x640 resolution

https://w3codemasters.in/most-common...n-resolutions/

..but this site shows half that amount....

https://gs.statcounter.com/screen-resolution-stats
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	StatCounter-resolution-ww-monthly-201907-202007-bar.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	30.7 KB 
ID:	127624   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	common-screen-resolutions.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	82.1 KB 
ID:	127625  

LGF, you are not working with the numbers properly. The Other(s) could all be ultra hires. The range could be 13 to 50 or 22 to 44 percent.
    To be of any use, you need another plot of purchase power to determine who to target.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    LGF, you are not working with the numbers properly. The Other(s) could all be ultra hires. The range could be 13 to 50 or 22 to 44 percent.
    To be of any use, you need another plot of purchase power to determine who to target.

Acorn
    Apologies Acorn, you are correct - should have said 2nd most used.

LGF

The web link says: "We have compiled a list of the viewport widths" then goes on to talk about screen resolution, but they are entirely two different things.

When designing for a web page it's the viewport width that matters not the screen resolution.

The actual screen resolution of a device may be 1x, 2x, 2.5x, 3x.. etc the viewport width.

My iPhone has a viewport size of 320x568 but the physical screen resolution is 640x1136.

You design for 320x568 not 640x1136.

The only reason people get away with the multiple sizes in Xara is because of scaling.

Older cheaper phones may have a screen resolution that matches the viewport.

Always design for viewport sizes not physical resolution.

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    LGF

The web link says: "We have compiled a list of the viewport widths" then goes on to talk about screen resolution, but they are entirely two different things.

When designing for a web page it's the viewport width that matters not the screen resolution.

The actual screen resolution of a device may be 1x, 2x, 2.5x, 3x.. etc the viewport width.

My iPhone has a viewport size of 320x568 but the physical screen resolution is 640x1136.

You design for 320x568 not 640x1136.

The only reason people get away with the multiple sizes in Xara is because of scaling.

Older cheaper phones may have a screen resolution that matches the viewport.

Always design for viewport sizes not physical resolution.
    Thanks for the clarification Pauland

Folks, thanks for replies... I guess, as received some confusing off-site stats and graphs, and discussion about view ports... but not direct answers to what I asked.
    I agree, there are odd stats for phones in 2020, but remember a phone is still a small screen to view stuff on, in my opinion.
    But as my inquiries, what resolutions (per the Xara Variant screen setting) are (you) using here in 2020 ?
    And, are people building for two or three variants still in 2020 (what with tablets often up to desktop screen specs) ?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris M View Post
    Since Xara introduced the 'Scale to fit Width' option (v16 or 17?) I'm finding that the default 960px scale to width 1280px coupled with a single variant of 480px is more than sufficient.

I have pondered over making the 960 a bit bigger, say 1100 as the stretch to 1280 looks fine in FireFox and Opera, but may be a tad large in the new Edge. Having said that, I have 3 sites on 960 and nobody has mentioned it. Sleeping dogs and all that.
    I wrote that nearly a month ago. Just before I turned invisible