Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: 2020 Screen Resolution - desktop vs tablet vs phone

Quote Originally Posted by Chris M View Post
    I wrote that nearly a month ago. Just before I turned invisible
    Who just said that?

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Here is a chart I use for mobile and tablet. (https://www.mydevice.io/) Remember some people will flip the phone or tablet therefor you have to take into account what will display at what res.
    What I have been sucessful with is 700 for mobile and 1130 for desktop and tablet. I did not use the fit option in the following site.
    See link

So as Chris was saying, if you do your mobile at 480, anything after 480 to 960 or if he goes to 1100 will be shown in mobile version. Which for me was not ideal, specially if they use a tablet and having the hamburger menu show up. Again you can see the chart info link I provided.
    My ideal testing res. so far without any issue is 700 mobile 1130 desktop without the stretch to fit option. Just my 2cents. But now the new iphone x viewed horizontally is set to 812. I am sure the numbers will keep going up. I was told not many view wesbsites sideways on their phone. Not sure how correct that is.
    Last edited by behzad; 07 September 2020 at 01:55 PM.

Behzad, the settings may be ideal for yourself but how about your visitors? My desktop has the resolution of 1680 x 1050 px. However I rarely view websites full-screen, but prefer to use a browser window of half to a third of the screen size.Why? I find on websites set to a width of over approx 1000px the text extends too wide to the exteremes of the web page which makes scanning multiple long lines of text uncomfortabe and following onto the next line difficult, often re-reading the same line or skipping the next line.

So in your example 1130px wide desktop site, when I open it in my preferred browser width size (approx 1014px wide) not all the page content is visible and the browser has the horrible horizontal scroll bar. I therefore need to resize my browser window to view all the content. Not ideal.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	export.png 
Views:	56 
Size:	28.6 KB 
ID:	127812  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Following on from that, this is where 'Scale to Width' comes to the rescue. Here's a mock-up of part of your site using 'Scale to Width'. Notice regardless of the visitors browser size it accomadates the browser width to fit the content, so no horizontal scroll bars and no reason for the visitor to resize their window to fit the content

LINK
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Following on from that, this is where 'Scale to Width' comes to the rescue. Here's a mock-up of part of your site using 'Scale to Width'. Notice regardless of the visitors browser size it accomadates the browser width to fit the content, so no horizontal scroll bars and no reason for the visitor to resize their window to fit the content

LINK
    Great job with that. A big improvement.

For a moment I thought it was a responsive site!

All praise to scale to width then

Egg I have taken your suggestion and did the fit to screen and the slider and footer is cut off now to the width of 1130 which I have specified.
    See link here

Also as I had explained in other thread with fit to screen, the mobile version loads to the left side and then when fully loaded expands to cover the whole page.
    Last edited by behzad; 09 September 2020 at 03:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by behzad View Post
    All praise to scale to width then
    +1

I find it definitely helps.

Yes Bezhad that's far better. As Paul states it's more like but in my opinion better than a responsive site. I'll have a look at the other thread mentioned.
    Egg

Quote Originally Posted by behzad View Post
    Egg I have taken your suggestion and did the fit to screen and the slider and footer is cut off now to the width of 1130 which I have specified.
    See link here

Also as I had explained in other thread with fit to screen, the mobile version loads to the left side and then when fully loaded expands to cover the whole page.
    The magenta background at max size is rather lively! But I think the resizing works perfectly.