Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Bug Push Function Problem in Xara Designer Pro X17

I have designed a web page in Xara Designer Pro X17 that uses DISQUS as a comments forum. I have set up the page so that as comments are added to DISQUS the push function automatically lengthens the page. It works fine as long as I do not add a background color to the page. As soon as I do, the push function stops working. Any ideas on what I need to do to fix this problem? Your assistance would be appreciated.

I am using a horizontal line as the placeholder for the DISQUS code in the upper area of the webpage and I have an invisible box located in the footer of the page. Both have the PUSH function turned on.

If you would like to see the page as it is designed now and working, visit: https://thecommittee.site/index_2.htm

Thanks in advance, Rick

P.S. This is a Utah Jazz fan website I am working on.

Info Re: Push Function Problem in Xara Designer Pro X17

Basically what you have done is unticked the Web Properties > Website > Other > Clip to page edges.
    Discus grows but your page doesn't.

When you add a pasteboard colour, that is added to the site but colours from the bottom of the Xara page background and I assume obscuring your Discus Blog.

You can add CSS to the page head with:
    Code:
    <style>
    html, body {
      background-color: <your-chosen-colour-by-name-or-by-#RGBA>;
    </style>
    Personally, I would go for a colour gradient:

Code:
    <style>
    html, body {
      background: linear-gradient(to bottom, #33ccff 0%, #ff99cc 100%);
    </style>
    Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: Push Function Problem in Xara Designer Pro X17

Thank you for responding.

I copied and pasted the code from your second example into the head of the page, applied and saved the changes and the background did not change. I then decided to create a blank webpage (640px) and did the same thing to it and when I opened it up in a browser nothing changed. I tried Chrome, Edge, Firefox, and Opera — all displayed a blank, white page. Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by rvalens2 View Post
    Thank you for responding.

I copied and pasted the code from your second example into the head of the page, applied and saved the changes and the background did not change. I then decided to create a blank webpage (640px) and did the same thing to it and when I opened it up in a browser nothing changed. I tried Chrome, Edge, Firefox, and Opera — all displayed a blank, white page. Any ideas?
    Not really as I was guessing totally how your site was constructed. My code was a best guess. I assumed that as you were comfortable with playing with iframes, you might be able to do your own research.

Did you try the first one?

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Yes, I did with similar results. I'll keep researching this. I've used iframes in the past, so I'm sure I'll solve this. When I do, I'll post a reply with what I did to fix it.

Thanks again for your help.

Well, as it turns out what I am trying to do just isn't possible at this time with DISQUS. While I was able to change the background coloring, what cannot be done is to modify the area in which DISQUS displays itself. This directly from DISQUS:

It's not currently possible to apply custom CSS to the Disqus iFrame . . . Disqus is set to fill 100% of the width of its parent HTML element and has no margin or padding set on its <div>.
    My goal was to have a nice gradient change on the webpage with a light gray background surrounding that. I wanted DISQUS to display within the webpage and use the PUSH function to expand the gradient area of the page as the DISQUS comments increased. DISQUS says that isn't possible as it will always take up 100% of its parent HTML rendering the gradient background invisible — which explains why I couldn't see it. So, until DISQUS changes things what I want to do can't be done. This bums me out, but I'm okay with it since DISQUS is working and that is what's most important to me.

Thanks again for your help with this. — Rick

I have updated my Utah Jazz fan website (10-20-21). Anyone wishing to see a working version of DISQUS on a XARA website, go to: https://thecommittee.site

Due to the update, the original link listed in my first post is now dead.