Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Setting Up Custom Palette Tip

I was getting annoyed working with colors on my current project with trying to set up a palette. I'm not especially good at such things and needing a way to change things like gradients quickly is useful for me. In my pixel-art software, you can pick two colors and have the program 'fill in' the transitions. Xara doesn't have anything like that, at least contextually to the palette. Then I remembered the Blend Tool! So I set up the amount of colors I wanted to use for my palette's gradient and then I could easily adjust the colors and test them out quickly by selecting them and using the eye dropper.

I've included a screenshot to somewhat illustrate it. And depending on your needs, using a multi-blend allows shifting hue through the gradient as well. I think some folks who end up fiddling with colors a lot may find this tip useful.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	palette tip.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	82.3 KB 
ID:	127613
    See my some of artwork and hear some of my music at www.kniteforcerevolution.com

Default Re: Setting Up Custom Palette Tip

Good tip. Blends are a very good way to get a range of colors.

Also, you can blend two of the same color with the Alt Rainbow option to get in between colors with the same value and saturation.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Alt Rainbow.png 
Views:	109 
Size:	8.7 KB 
ID:	127614  

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Good tip. Blends are a very good way to get a range of colors.

Also, you can blend two of the same color with the Alt Rainbow option to get in between colors with the same value and saturation.
    I don't think I've ever used that option. Thanks.

I also forgot to add it's useful to play around with the attributes curve as well. It may be handy depending on how you're using the colors for shading and such.
    See my some of artwork and hear some of my music at www.kniteforcerevolution.com

There's a reason you are using the Blend Tool and not the Fill Tool, but I can't think why. Something to do with the number of steps?

Chris - You could use the Fill Tool but blending is creating a palette of individual colors.

I did a XaraXone Workbook back in June 2005 http://archive.xaraxone.com/webxealo...tml/page_1.htm that shows how different Hues relate to metallic colors. I used blends of pale and dark versions of the same color to create a range.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	metallics_06.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	29.2 KB 
ID:	127618  

the blend tool gives you a quick way of fixing intermediate colours - it's a good tip
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Chris - You could use the Fill Tool but blending is creating a palette of individual colors.

I did a XaraXone Workbook back in June 2005 http://archive.xaraxone.com/webxealo...tml/page_1.htm that shows how different Hues relate to metallic colors. I used blends of pale and dark versions of the same color to create a range.
    Still don't get it, but this is out of my typical Xara usage. I'll have a look at the workbook for enlightenment.

@handrawn: You can add nodes onto the Fill line to change intermediate colours. It's not the how, it's the why. I'm missing a piece of knowledge, and I'd like to understand.

Just to throw some extra carnage into the debate

Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

I had a quick look at the Workbook and fired up XWDP to have a play...no Blend Tool. I do have access to XDP, but not unfettered access, so I'll thank everyone for their comments and bow gracefully away from the stage.

ive not watched the video - the blend tool gives you fixed steps - with the fill tool you are winging it
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...