Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Fast Publish not working

I have recently updated to Designer Pro 17. A website I have built for a client used to fast-publish. Now it always uploads the whole site despite fast-publish being selected. I saw someone else had the same problem but couldn't see what the answer was to fix this problem. I hope someone can help.

Default Re: Fast Publish not working

I wonder if some of the problem is your web hosting company?

The first time you publish a site, it is slow. But Xara creates a file that it checks when you republish which it does check all the elements for changes and publishes the changes and then deletes the unnecessary objects. This generally happens pretty rapidly after the first publish. So there are a few things that might be happening. If you are making a lot of edits, then that can take additional time and as I suggested, if your web host's servers are not that fast this could be the other problem.

Another thing with 17 (and I think 16) is it is now simple to name an image rather than Xara give it a meaningless numerical name.
    Secondly do a search on Google using the example in the attached image.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	export.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	127608  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Thank you for your reply. I use Fasthosts so it shouldn't be a problem with them. I sometimes only edit a sentence or even one word and it still publishes the whole site. It was working fine, uploading just the edits in a few seconds. Then after installing the latest Designer Pro (17) it always uploads the whole site even though fast-publish is selected. Strange.

Info Re: Fast Publish not working

Export your website to a local folder on your computer, Let's say it is C:\XaraExport\.

Open C:\XaraExport\.

You should find one of the following:
    1. index.htm File and index_htm_files/ Folder for a Supersite.
    2. index.htm plus other <page>.htm Files and index_htm_files\ Folder for a Conventional site.

Make a small text change and Export website again.
    Look at the *.htm Files and those files in the C:\XaraExport\index_htm_files\ Folder.
    All those with newer datetime stamps will end up being republished, regardless of the Fast Publish setting.

If only those in the Folder change then your text has been Grouped and is probably an image.
    If you change a label of a Xara NavBar, large number of images in the Folder will be updated and all those *.htm pages with the NavBar too in all probability.
    There are a range of small changes that will result in a cascade of updated images and files; only through experience or investigation will you be able to predict what does what.

My track-record for Xara web publishing improvements is name your images (as Egg advises), avoid Xara NavBars and HiSlide pop-ups.
    The less you rely on these, the smaller your file sizes become, the churn is lowered and overall publishing is faster anyhow.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat