Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default A dark day for Windows 10.

Windows 10 updated on Mary's computer a process that took so long I thought it was broken. When it finally opened Windows has decided that everybody loves a dark interface and all browsers and most applications now have the dark interface.

It might have been nice if Windows asked first?

Default Re: A dark day for Windows 10.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Windows 10 updated on Mary's computer a process that took so long I thought it was broken. When it finally opened Windows has decided that everybody loves a dark interface and all browsers and most applications now have the dark interface.

It might have been nice if Windows asked first?
    Gary, right-click on the Desktop and pick Personalise > Colours ?Choose your colour: Light.
    Then, Theme > Save theme.

Might help.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

well I am bang up to date on windows 10 and it has never forced dark mode on me...
    settings/personalisation/colors should give you the choice of light/dark for windows and apps
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

@acorn
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    @acorn
    Finger-clicking snap!

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

You cannot have a dark taskbar and a light theme. Changing the taskbar theme alters the entire computer.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    You cannot have a dark taskbar and a light theme. Changing the taskbar theme alters the entire computer.
    I think what you're looking for is:
    Personalise > Colours > Choose Your Colour (Custom) > Choose Windows Mode (Dark) > Choose App Mode (Light)

Chris thanks. I have done this. My gripe was Microsoft just determined that the dark theme is the default.

Mary's computer is a HP laptop, and it has it's own issues. I have not had the update yet to my computer.

windows defaulted to dark theme - there could be several reasons for this

if it took a very long time then it might well of been the update from 1903 to 2004 which is a 'biggie'

the age of the laptop in terms of the latest available drivers, the amount of memory, the speed of the processor, the speed of the SSD/HDD and physical condition of all these may slow things down, as might things running in the background security wise etc

if windows finds it has to make do with less 'space/resource' than it really needs to organise the update it will 'let go' of certain settings and reset - this can also happen if some drivers are not as uptodate as windows would require in regard to the features they provide, even if these drivers are the latest available

this may be what has happened here, it is a lot more common than you might think

it is only a personilisation setting, irritating yes, but nothing to be concerned about
    Nothing lasts forever...

Did you do the feature update to win 10 version 2004? I refuse to install that. I heard many bad things how it will screw up everything.