Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Can Windows10 text search find text inside a .XAR document?

Shipen, with money behind MS & Adobe,why would they not build suitable filters for their products?
    TXT only needed a simple filter but even text files come in different flavours.
    MMAP is XML-based anyhow.

The MS Office suite is both deliverable and editable. The XAR format is editable and proprietary and is not published. That's the difference.
    The WIX format does what you want.

You have yet to present your own specific need.
    You have a gazillion XAR files and you always mispell theit/there/thier.
    A Windows filter finds 7 files. You don't know where in the files...

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

let me sumarise all that has been said in words of one syllable

in order for a search program to search a file format:

either the format owner [in this case xara] has to provide a filter/plugin [a code translation routine] to enable the search program to understand what it finds

or

the file format has to be using one that is already esablished elsewhere

xara have not provided such a filter

what other programs you can search is irrelevant to this

there is nothing you can do about this except put in a request to xara, backed up with concerete example of how it would be benificial [and not just generalisations about what you think the situation is or could be]

as acorn said, you have not even told us why you want this

you may have to bite the bullet and accept that the way you want to use this program may not be the way xara have designed it to be used, something that others have had to do in other respects, including myself
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by shiphen View Post

PS By the way, in my life PowerPoint is the dominant competitor to Xara for general-purpose creation of illustrations. Basically everyone in business has the Microsoft Office suite (which is why Microsoft has a Market Cap of $1.54 TRILLION), and almost nobody has even heard of Xara. So when working on a shared project everyone defaults to PowerPoint.

Please don't give me yet another reason why I should use PowerPoint and not Xara Designer.
    now it is my turn not to understand - these two programs are not at all the same - and if you can do what want in PP and that is what others use .. then why not use it?
    Nothing lasts forever...

let me sumarise all that has been said in words of one syllable
    Now you're confusing me HD!

How many syllables in generalization? = 6 syllables

Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

figure of speech

as when xara says 'smart design made for everyone'
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    now it is my turn not to understand - these two programs are not at all the same - and if you can do what want in PP and that is what others use .. then why not use it?
    Yes these programs are NOT at all the same.

But in business almost everyone I know, when they want to do a diagram they reach for PowerPoint.

Now, if I am working in a Team environment... can I convince everyone else to buy Xara?
    Can I convince everyone else to struggle up the learning curve of Xara's (not rather dated) whole user interface?
    Can I convince everyone else to try Xara Cloud?

No, of course I can't.

I can built my diagrams in Xara, but I need other people to edit them. And then I need to edit their edits....
    And guess what, I'm forced to use PowerPoint.

To answer other question... I find Xara a serious pain to use because as soon as I have too many Xara files, without any way of doing a text search across them I suddenly find it super-hard to find the correct file.

J

ok well the horse has probably left the paddock by now never mind the stable door, but the answer to 'the other question' is forward planning - acorn has been sugesting mirroring your files by saving them in wix as well as xar, one way to do it - keeping your own database would be another... yes more work than batch searching *.xar but you can at least batch search *.wix
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by shiphen View Post
    Yes these programs are NOT at all the same.
    But in business almost everyone I know, when they want to do a diagram they reach for PowerPoint.
    Now, if I am working in a Team environment... can I convince everyone else to buy Xara?
    Can I convince everyone else to struggle up the learning curve of Xara's (not rather dated) whole user interface?
    Can I convince everyone else to try Xara Cloud?
    No, of course I can't.
    I can built my diagrams in Xara, but I need other people to edit them. And then I need to edit their edits....
    And guess what, I'm forced to use PowerPoint.
    To answer other question... I find Xara a serious pain to use because as soon as I have too many Xara files, without any way of doing a text search across them I suddenly find it super-hard to find the correct file.
    J
    I have 169,000 XAR files and 2,600 WEB files.

I work in Teams all the time. I use folders, project names and meaningful file names to organise things.
    As an IT business consultant I have to work with the tools available or prescribed.

In your example, I would not force a Xara Desktop application (XDA) on the Team but use the XDA to create the text and diagram and Export as a PPTX.
    I then have a source file (XAR) and output file (PPTX).
    If there were lots of Team transactions then I would work in PowerPoint and finally import into the XDA, update or keep as a version and PPTX out.

Inbetween, I might (meaning I have) created the Slidepack into a Xara Website and embedded into the corporate environment, avoiding the mess of downloading a PPTX and running PowerPoint to view. When this is done the quirkiness of the XDA vanishes as other Team members start asking how was all that done.

Corporate deliveries on a stick or as a published website or even in Xara Cloud all allow for interactive presentation, bids and contracts to be generated as HTML, PPTX and PDF.
    I turned round a quality management system costing £250,000/y for a large organisation into a collection of XWDPv12 licences quite a time back. No one complained.

Again, a XARA file is an editable source with multiple output formats.
    Try version controlling a PPTX without a proper CMS and even the simple XDA Backup becomes a godsend.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

that sounds like very good advice
    Nothing lasts forever...

After reading the Xara Format Document http://http://site.xara.com/support/...atDocument.pdf
    I am sure that Magix/Xara could provide a plugin to search inside Xara documents.

Notice that on installation, Xara install a program that allows Windows to read the preview bitmap of the Xara document.

If I understood well the Xara format manual, Xara files are compressed using the zlib format, so a plugin that reads inside Xara documents must be able to uncompress each one of these zlib compressed records inside the file and read the text.

By the way, Does wix format works well in all Xara versions?
    In my computer, only Xara x1 could read and write wix files.
    The rest could not write wix files but could read them.

Al